Slideshow Widget

This is dedicated to the one I love.

24 Jan 2008

tomatoes


It has been a roller coaster ride of emotions here over the past couple of days. Andy arrived home early yesterday from being at the beach with a friend because he wasn't well. It turned out he has shingles. A nuisance but not a disaster as long as he doesn't get any lasting side effects. He will probably have 3 or 4 weeks of feeling lethargic and itchy and hopefully not too much pain.



Shingles is not common in teenagers and so further investigations were needed to make sure his immune system was OK. This seemed potentially more serious and I tried to keep my mind off the possibilities. We got the results at lunch time today and his blood tests were all clear. He will have to have them repeated in six weeks but it seems that he is OK.



sweet corn


After ringing Stephen to let him know I took a very appreciative walk around the garden. Things never looked so good. Its amazing how a scary experience can give you new vision. There seemed to be so much going on in the garden. Fruit, vegetables and chickens just going about their business untroubled by human worries: pumpkin vines making a bid at taking over the world, chooks heading off for an afternoon stroll, fruit quietly ripening, a tiny pumpkin becoming cuter by the day, happy flowers just blooming.




While I'm writing this I'm listening to The Mamas and The Papas singing "This is dedicated to the one I love". Very appropriate I guess as today is our 21st wedding anniversary.
That's a long time to share your life and dreams and bed with the same person. We met when we were only 21 and 22, we lived together for 5 years before we married, and now I'm almost half way to 100.
I honestly can't imagine my life being any other way and the most important thing in this life of mine is this family we have made together:
the father,
the mother,
three fine children,
a simple cottage,
a good life,
too many pets to name,
music,
books,
gardens,
things being made,
wool and wood,
laughter,
food,
a love of English comedies,
card games,
bikes,
sunshine,
singing,
tears,
hugs,
disagreements,
more music
and always plenty of love.


Somehow we have made this life together and I thank God for all the blessings this
family is given every day.
Husband and wife, we stand together.



monster pumpkin vine




necatarine




cosmea




chooks stepping out




grapes




white peaches




shy little pumpkin




yellow plums




tomato patch



Here's to the next 21 and the one after that. It's been a great adventure.


22 Responses to “This is dedicated to the one I love.”

  1. Happy Anniversary!!! It's been such a pleasure getting to know you a little bit through your blog. I visit every day.
    blessings,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Doesn't it get better every year?

    I am coveting all the beautiful things growing at your place, as I sit here watching it snow...

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dear Jen, Congrats on your 21 yr. accomplishment. A long married life is getting more and more rare these days. My husband and I will be together 33yrs. this Oct. I was only 15 when I had my first child. Thanks for sharing all your very lovely pictures, and I pray a healing for your dear son.

    Blessings,Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!


    hmmm, garden envy. It is 20 degrees F here now, expecting to down to 10 tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jenny,
    Happy Anniversary!
    What a lovely life. Enjoy your special day with your family. Love, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! May you have many, many more happy years to come.

    Glad to hear that your son is going to be alright. I hope he heals fast enough to amaze everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Happy Anniversary !! I know that the best present today is knowing that your son is OK. I too, will pray that he recovers quickly.

    We celebrated our 54th wedding anniversary on November 28th. We met when we were 14, started dating when we were 16 (fighting our parents every inch of the way) and married 12 days after my 18th birthday. We eloped on a bus to North Carolina, the nearest state we could get legally married in without our parents' consents. (At that time, you weren't an adult until the age of 21). My mother said it wouldn't last six months :o). Now here we are 54 years later, with 6 children, 31 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren.

    My husband almost died 3 years ago of viral encephalitis and he had what was truly a miracle and recovered. We are cherishing every minute we have together.

    Enjoy your blessed life with your family.(((hugs)))

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny,

    Congratulations on your anniversary. What a lovely tribute you have written. My husband and I are soulmates also and will celebrate our 33rd anniversary in May. I will pray for your son's recovery. My husband had shingles when he was 46 (which I believe was brought on by stress) and it is very painful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your 21st anniversary! We celebrated our 33rd anniversary on Jan 18th. We share the same month, but not the same season. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary! I hope Andy recovers quickly - thank goodness it wasn't more serious (although shingles is bad enough).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to come out of "lurkdom" to say, "CONGRATULATIONS!"

    Your blog is lovely. I think I first heard of it through Jewels and I visit every day.

    May blessings on your marriage, family, and your gracious life.

    --Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary!
    What a sweet post. I am a bit jealous of your beautiful vegetables and flowers all in bloom... it is cold and wet here... winter is in full swing. But spring will be around the corner in no time.
    Blessings!

    My Cup Runneth Over...
    Chas
    http://www.homesteadblogger.com/chas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jenny :) Happy Anniversary! Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary Jenny! I hope you have many more happy years together. Give my love to Andy.

    Love

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your anniversary! I wish you and your family health and happiness. I hope Andy mends soon

    Best,

    Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary to you both. Sorry Andy is unwell, and pray he is on the mend soon.

    Your garden looks beautiful, you must put alot of work into it.

    Gods Blessings
    Shelley P
    from over the pond

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary! 21 years is something to be proud of.

    cc

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy happy Anniversary,
    May you celebrate many more together.
    I hope that your husband is not too uncomfortable with the shingles-
    Your garden photos are fabulous especially as I live in Alberta Canada where we are in the middle of winter and an impending cold spell.
    Regards from a Western Canadian Quilter,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on 21 years of marriage! May you have many more happy years together.

    I love your blog and visit often.

    Best wishes
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Anniversary! It is beautiful to read about your enduring relationship and your beautiful family. I hope Andy doesn't suffer too badly with his dose of shingles, but as you know the young ones are much more resiliant than us.
    Here's to another 21+ years :)
    -hugs-
    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Anniversary! I love your photos and the idea of the pumpkin vine taking over the world.

    And hope Andy is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet. You are a lucky woman. Your post made me teary. Best to you. Gorgeous gardens.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.