Old and Trusted

3 Jan 2008

P3050004


I went on a little saunter to the op shop today. I must admit when I was Christmas shopping I found it very difficult to find anything new to buy, I much prefer the loved things at the op shop.
I found these beautiful doileys, so pretty. I just adore the bright clean colours of the embroidery and the softness of the whitework.
All of that loveliness coupled with the crocheted lace which always reminds me of my Gran. I can never resist well worked pieces.
I found the two little delft blue candle sticks as well.



P3050007


I also found a "new" Pyrex bowl to replace one I foolishly broke last year. It's just a good size for mixing a dinner amount of coleslaw or mixing up the ingredients for a quiche filling. The pottery quiche dish was also a great find. I love the rustic glaze and rough pottery base. It's the perfect size for a large teenage boy size quiche which is what we had for tea.


P3050021


I needed to use some of the Christmas ham, we are getting a little tired of cold meat and salad.
The boys especially love my Quiche Lorraine but the one I usually make is too small.
My bigger quiche dish did the job perfectly.



P3050016


I bought this old and rather frail basket to store my onions in.
It won't need to be carried around and with a cloth over the top the onions should last well.




P3050009


I found a couple of books too. This one and an Agatha Christie collection in a hard cover .
I have a picture of Grasmere over my bed. Not that I have ever been there but I do enjoy Wordsworth's poetry and I love the magical look of the Lake District. My sister-in-law visited there many years ago and brought me back a beautiful poster of Dove Cottage which I had framed and a book of the poetry of the Lake poets.



P3050003


I didn't spend my whole day cavorting around the op shops.
I did some serious tidying and cleaning this morning and was very pleased with my sparkling clean floor until Poppy, the dog, walked inside covered in water and dirt after having had a swim in the pond to refresh herself and then a roll in the dirt to keep her smelling sweet.
She had no idea what she had done wrong.

I also cut out a top for Kate from this pretty fabric which had been a skirt of mine.
I'm using a pattern I have used before , I'll show you when it is finished.
I think the pattern is no longer available.



P3050006


I'll leave you with some lines from one of my favourite Wordsworth poems,
Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood.
          Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy!
Shades of the prison-house begin to close
Upon the growing Boy,
But He beholds the light, and whence it flows,
He sees it in his joy;
The Youth, who daily farther from the east
Must travel, still is Nature's Priest,
And by the vision splendid
Is on his way attended;
At length the Man perceives it die away,
And fade into the light of common day.


15 Responses to “Old and Trusted”

  1. Hi jenny-I just had to comment on your favorite poem. Wordsworth is one of my favorite poets,also.He speaks of a time when we were with God-before we were born-our souls were with him. Our journey may be long or short, but in the end we all return to our true home with God. He will be holding the door open, bidding us to come and join him in the warmth of his love. Beautiful post! Blessings, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenny,
    Thank you for all this delicious domesticity! Have a wonderful day..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never seen that poem before and I love it. You found some beautiful things. I was at the thrift stores yesterday also. Right after Christmas is a great time to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your op-shop shopping looks exactly like mine! I always intend to go looking for clothes for the children, but somehow return with a basket full of Jenny-style finds....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely time cooking and cleaning and "thrifting" - I virtually give up on the floors at this time of year, no sooner are they cleaned and there are muddy footprints again! Happy New Year to you all.
    Carolyn
    http://willowhouse.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny :) I enjoyed this entry so much! It is also a joy of mine to discover well worked pieces tucked away in little shops - especially tea linens. Love to you and a very happy new year! Q

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! I love those old doilies. I can remember when one could get them by the sackful at tag sales for a pittance... my goodness those days are long gone, eh?

    It's nice to have them appreciated:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jen, thanks so much for sharing your lovely things you found at the Op Shop. Guess, that is the same as our thrift shops here in the U.S.
    I love thrifting, when I can. I really enjoyed the poem you have shared with us. You always share the most wonderful things. I love visiting you.

    God bless, Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quiche looked so good. I could almost smell it !
    I visit your blog most days but have never left a comment before. I read with interest your comments about the Lake District as I am lucky enough to live close by. I can get a bus to the lakes for a day trip. It has its own beauty at any time of year and in order to keep getting "my fix" I visit a website which is updated every day with new photos. It is www.lakelandcam.co.uk. The man who takes the pictures lives in the lakes and was a postman until he retired last year. He takes his dog out walking on the hills every day and posts the pics. They are amazing. I thought you might enjoy them as you post such great photos yourself. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I once stayed in Grasmere where I ate roast Westmorland lamb and the most delicious sticky toffee pudding I have ever had in my life.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for another bit of your writing. I love old linens also. It's heart warming to think that someone lovingly put in every stitch. Your little book looks like a treasure. I've stayed in Grasmere and visited Dove Cottage. What a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is always interesting to me to see how universal patterns have been.... I have some very similar linens with that basket embroidery pattern on it. We all tend to think of the current time as the global age, but clearly, patterns and ideas were traveling around the globe well before the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny, it's so lovely to visit you again after a period of absence from reading my favorite blogs. Thanks for all the beauty you share with us here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Jenny,
    I was drawn to your weblog by Jewels' sweet descriptions of you, and enjoy reading your posts and seeing your lovely home and dolls. When I visit, I feel a fresh breath of air from across the ocean!
    Warmly,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.