Slideshow Widget

Amigurumi Advent calendar

5 Dec 2007

P2030012


I'd like to share our Advent calendar with you.



P2030002


I bought it many years ago at the Oxfam charity shop.



P2030004


I vaguely remember that it was made by a women's cooperative in Vietnam.



P2030003


It's only recently that I found out that this style of crochet is called amigurumi



P2030008


and is a Japanese style of handwork to make cute little figures and animals.



P2030006


We fill the pockets with three small chocolates for each day.



P2030005


We gather round the calendar each morning in Advent...



P2030009


we wish each other a Happy Christmas...



P2030010


and then the chosen child hangs the decoration...



P2030013


and gives out the chocolates.



P2030014


Louis and Andy are getting a bit too old to be enthusiastic but the promise of chocolate before breakfast can make even the most recalcitrant teenager join in.


If you are looking for the Christmas angels in my shop I've popped them into my etsy shop.

4 Responses to “Amigurumi Advent calendar”

  1. What a lovely calendar Jenny. I've been looking for a re-useable advent calendar for our family. I'd like to continue the chocolate idea but also ask each member of the family to put a coin into each day when they take their chocolate so we can donate it to a charity.

    Think I'll just have a look at the oxfam site now.

    cheers Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous idea! I had a look at the Oxfam site and they had some made by ladies in India.

    I keep meaning to make an advent calendar but have not gotten around to it as yet.

    Love your dolls, by the way!

    Warmly,

    Shell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful advent calendar!

    Blessings,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. I especially like the tiny detail of the baby in the basket. Thank you for sharing! I've bookmarked your post for amigurumi inspiration. :)

    http://snuffykin.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.