Slideshow Widget

Remembrance Day

11 Nov 2007

broad beans


Today after breakfast in the back garden I harvested the last of the broad beans and dug over the now vacant part of the vegie garden ready for a dressing of blood and bone and compost. The garden was very dry so I gave it a good water as well. The broad beans self seeded from the plants we had the winter before last and have been prolific bearers of pea green pods bursting with life.



I also harvested some of the silver beet that is starting to bolt. I'll leave some to go to seed for the next crop of plants. The chooks loved the garden rubbish, the discarded plants were rich in snails and a few bugs plus there was some grass that had just developed seed heads. What a treat.



After the slow morning in the vegie patch we had a late cuppa in the front garden which is a beautiful place at the moment. The leaves are back on all the trees so there is a leafy privacy from the street and the roses are all blooming. It seems to be a good year for roses. Louis came out into the sunlight briefly to get away from his study and Stephen was in the driveway working on the car.



Late morning was doll making time interrupted by pasta with butter, garlic and fresh garden herbs for lunch then back to the dolls. I have a lot to do over the next couple of weeks so I have to make the most of any available moments.



Mum and Dad came round for afternoon tea and a chat and left with plenty of broad beans and silver beet. Dad hasn't been so well the past few days. He seemed happy enough but frail and unsure. As they left I brought in the washing and put the roast on. Back to a little more doll work then walked down the street to buy a bottle of wine and some milk.



Now dinner is over, Louis is studying after having a game of soccer late this afternoon, the rest of the family is watching a DVD and I am talking to you.

And that was Sunday, Remembrance Day, 11.11.2007


Stephen's folly

7 Responses to “Remembrance Day”

  1. Ahhhh, a chilly fall day here on the east coast of the states. Looking at your garden is making me want an early Spring! The beens look delicious and your dolls, well, are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,
    Sounds like a perfectly lovely day. Blessings to you, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remembrance Day always sends a chill up my spine. I was making my apron at 11am, and had the cricket on in the background (I am a cricket tragic I am afraid), and was very impressed when the telecast was stopped for 1 minute. Hmmm, I don't think the cricket stopped though ! How brave our soldiers were (and still are), Lest We Forget....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely way to spend Rememberence Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely day with beautiful photos to match :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a lovely day at home, Jenny. It was a nice way to marked Remembrance Day. As usual, your garden looks inviting and pretty. I hope your Dad is ok.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.