Filled with Wonder

23 Nov 2007


I can't believe it's Friday again. Where did that week go. I have the house to myself at the moment. This is becoming a rare occurrence with Louis finished school.It is so lovely to have him around, he is a really nice person. He eats too much but you can't have everything.


One of the very best things to happen this week has been the rain.I was beginning to think it would never rain again and the first flush of beautiful spring growth would soon become the curled up crispy garden of a long dry summer. We may have to wait several more weeks or longer for rain but for the moment the garden is relaxing itself again and plants are growing as you look at them.


Kate comes home from camp today and I have missed her terribly. My mother always said every mother needs a daughter. I always thought she meant because it gives them a chance to play dressups with a life sized doll but I think she knew that there could be a very special connection. I'm know there is a special bond between mothers and sons too but is a unexpectedly wonderful thing to watch your daughter grow slowly towards being a woman, recognising parts of your own journey.


Lately Kate has been saying that she doesn't want to grow up yet but she can feel herself changing. She means the way she looks at things rather than how she looks. She is starting to move out of her dreamy childhood in to that neverland, neither one thing nor the other,not really a child but not a teenager either. The absolute innocence of being a child is drifting away but she is far removed from the teen world . There is great enthusiasm, a well developed imagination and a growing sense of a bigger world and some of its injustices. I've tried to tell her to embrace the change, that she won't become someone completely different but new layers will be added. It's a wonderful stage of life but also at times quite uncomfortable I think.


What a wonderful gift it is , to be a mother. To be allowed to play a part in the lives of these children, to be that central figure, the mother - what a privilege. Children and mothering teach you so much about yourself and the world and what matters. It's not just the chance to love and be loved but to watch those tiny souls grow and become what they have to be and through their journey begin a new stage of your own journey. It's a truly wonderful thing.


7 Responses to “Filled with Wonder”

  1. Thank you for this post. I have two boys, 11 and 13. Both are having an interesting time with this 'growing up' stuff. Suddenly they are aware of time passing, like being on a train that never stops just moving forward as you watch life pass from one season to the next. It is amazing to be on that train with them.
    Sandra D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to say that I love love love that doll with the purple cord suit - the cushion doll. I think that this is my favourite doll ever! You are a talented doll maker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post, Jenny. I hope you're having a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. I wish you a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words about a daughter your age come to rest with me. I have a daughter around the same age. I am so thankful for the relationship she and I have. He questions are changing and the answers she is able to handle are maturing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny :) I love the words you shared with your daughter about not changing completely into someone different but more layers being added - so insightful and a lovely encouragement.

    Being a mommy is a wonderful thing! What a marvelous blessing :) Love to you! Q

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a mother is the best thing that's ever happened to me. I love my kids, they feel still connected to my body somehow, even the teenagers. My daughters are a special blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.