Slideshow Widget

Tough decisions

27 Sep 2007

P1010016


Remember when you used to tell the time by blowing on a tick tock, that is a dandelion.



P1010011


I intended to write this post much earlier in the evening but Louis needed the computer.



P1010023


He is trying to decide what he wants to be when he grows up and is applying to Universities.



P1010026


He doesn't really know though so it is very difficult for him. He feels a pressure to choose something that is difficult to get into because he is clever and he should use his brains.



P1010033


I think maybe he should take a year to find out what he really loves and then decide.



P1010035


Who knows what he might end up doing. I'm sure whatever it is he won't be wasting his God given talents.



14 Responses to “Tough decisions”

  1. My mother is 65...an she says she still doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenny,
    We are in the same situation here. It is so difficult, my eldest isn't even sure if he wants to go to university anymore, mainly I think because he isn't sure what he'd like to end up doing afterwards. Taking a year out is an option we are thinking about, children sometimes seem to be on a conveyor belt that takes them in at 5 and drops them off the end at 21! Time to pause and think might not be a bad idea.
    As you say I'm sure it will all work out in the end. Good luck to Louis with his decision making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to Louis! It's a tough decision - at least now it's quite normal to have several career changes through your life - it's not as rigid as it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny

    Those God given talents and one's hearts desires are a much beter indicator of what will satisfy long term. There's no point giving into other's expectations. As you mentioned, some time out of the system can be very helpful to really gain your bearings.

    I scored marks enough to do anything, including medicine. I chose teaching instead but only taught for three years before stepping into a voluteer career. I am currently a homeschooling SAHM. I prefer to do hands on things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think taking a year out is great advice. I work in human resources and have seen so many people go to uni to do something "because they have the brains" but it doesn't really make them happy - I think choosing a career that you will love is the most important factor. And the other thing - if he finds he chooses the wrong thing, he can always change. Good luck to him with this decision.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a year off is a must really, time to think, try a few things, and experience life from a different point of view. I also believe in doing something that makes you happy, so many hours of our lives are spent at work, they should be enjoyed as much as possible.

    Love they garden photos and the cat. I love cats.

    Also really pleased to see someone else who uses the dining table to sew, I was beginning to think I was the only person who didn't have a designated work space.

    cheers Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. My neice went to Uni straight from school and ended up changing her course after the first year because she discover it wasn't what she wanted to do after all. She is now a pre-school teacher but all she really wants is to get married and stay home and have babies.LOL
    I read somewhere that 78% of kids that opt for a gap year end up never going to Uni.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think school-leavers feel pressure to make too many 'career' decisions too early.

    I think a year off to think and earn some money is a great idea. But I also realise some people know exactly what they want to do early on - more power to them.

    Regards, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to comment on you last picture. The book "We Help Mommy" has been one of our favorites for years- passed down through the children.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second the advice of a year out. I still regret being pushed into my university choice when I was.

    I'll say a prayer for your Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Years ago my grandfather said to me, "There are a lot of dumb peeople walking around with a piece of paper in their hands." This may sound blunt...but it made a lot of sense. God gives each of us abilities, gifts and talents. We were all made for something, as brilliant or mundane as it seems to turn out to be. I'll be praying for Louis in that whatever he does, he does well and does it for the glory of God.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a university lecturer, and I observe students everyday confused about what they want to do, concerned about their futures, stressed about their student loans, etc. When they ask me what they should do, I quote Joseph Campbell and say "follow your bliss." Whether it involves uni or not, doing what you love, and giving yourself permission to find out what that is, is crucial. My best to your son, and I hope he finds that which he seeks.

    Best,

    Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny, I remember how I had to face the same decision when I was 18. I scored really well on my exams, so I was pressured to do something 'tough'; but I never understood why I should get into something just because it's *hard* to get into.

    And, a few years later, I realized what I really want to be is a wife and Mom :) I'm so happy I didn't choose anything too time-consuming back then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Morning Jenny,

    This is some time later, isn't it? But I've been up since 3 in the morning praying for my children. Your brief little post spoke to my prayers for my middle child quite perfectly. Thank you so, so much. God bless you and your's.

    Shyla

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.