Lots of green and a little blue.

25 Sep 2007

P1010008


It's been a funny old day. Everyone is back at school or work , it was a brilliant sunny spring day with enough breeze to get the washing dry in good time.



P1010006


There seems to be a spate of bloggers deciding it is time to have a rest from blogging. Most important to me has been the retirement of Natalie of Isabella in the 21st Century a couple of weeks ago and now Jewels of Eyes of Wonder has decided that she needs to stop. Simmy of Echoes of a Dream is also having doubts about whether to continue. It is a strange thing that people I have never met in the flesh, and probably never will, mean so much to me. Thank goodness for snail mail and email.



P1010012


I hope that Natalie and Jewels and I can continue to have some kind of relationship and who knows one day they may blog again.



P1010009


This is my Canadian Maple just beginning to get its leaves back. It is always the last to lose its leaves, we have to have had the worst of winter before it decides that it surely must be autumn. It grows at the bottom of my garden and has often been damaged by the worst of the winds blowing from the south but it always recovers and gives such sweet shade through the summer.



P1010013


I did a bit of planting in the vegetable garden today; scarlet runner beans, cucumber, Queensland blue pumpkins, zucchini,sunflowers, parsley seedlings and basil.



P1010017


Poppy supervised my work and I think she found it a bit tiresome, not nearly so interesting as going for a walk.



P1010018


I love the fresh greens of the garden at this time of the year, who would have thought there were so many different greens all looking so vigorous and healthy.



P1010014


The fruit trees are blossoming in relays, first the cherry and native plum , then the peach and nectarine, the apricots and greengage, the golden drop plum and still to come the apples and pear.



P1010010



P1010007


Now for a little housekeeping. I have finally found a plastic dish that not only fits into my kitchen sink but also has the most comfortable handles for me to carry the dish outside to give the water to the garden and pot plants.



P1010006


The dish actually won an Australian design award, I presume because of the handles and was on special this week at Woolies/Safeway for about six dollars.



P1010005


I've only had the dish since yesterday so I can't comment on how well it lasts but If we have a summer as dry as last years I'll have no trouble reusing the washing up water and helping the garden grow.



P1010007


14 Responses to “Lots of green and a little blue.”

  1. Your photos of the garden are spectacular. Spring seems so far away now as our leaves are beginning to fall and turn the most stunning colours.

    The washing-up bowl looks just the sort of thing we could do with! And you've got a very useful superviser in Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, thanks for the lovely pictures. Your dog looks to me like a faithful friend, very sweet ! I love visiting your blog. It is always so refreshing . I was sad to see Jewels will no longer be with us, but I do totally understand. Her blog was such a blessing as yours is as well.
    God bless, Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also saddened to learn that Jewels is stopping her blog. Reading it gave me great joy and comfort.

    Your pictures of spring flowers are wonderful, and thank you. Here in England, our summer has ended, and the rains of autumn have begun. After weeks of courgette pasta, bread, and casseroles, I am getting the last of the courgettes from the garden (my husband is thankful for that!)

    My best,

    Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Natalie too, and I never got to read the others. But I can empathize.

    As your new plants are turning green and hearty ours are spending their last energy.

    For school my 5 year old has to draw a picture of a tree in our yard as it looks now. In December, March and June he will draw the same tree and compare the changes through the seasons. Today his picture was mostly green with some yellow leaves, and a splatter of yellow leaves on the grass below.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, I'm so sorry, too, that Jewels decided to stop blogging - but I understand, of course, with the busy period in their life now.

    I've been so blessed by her blog - and it also lead me to yours, which is such a sweet and soothing read at the end of a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures, Jenny! My sweeties are down in the fall garden right now gathering up treasures to take to the fair :) Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  7. jenny, I hope you keep blogging. What is that red tree? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful photos Jenny, wasn't yesterday the most glorious spring day? Back to cold here today though.
    I was so glad to see your post on here today, I was hoping that you too hadn't decided to stop blogging.

    cheers Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tash, thank you. It's easy to take a good photo when the subject stands as still as a tree, ha ha.

    Hi Shelley, yes Poppy is a faithful old friend. I think Jewels blog was a blessing to many.

    Hi Anna Marie, Jewels blog gave so much to so many and it is sad but wasn't it wonderful while we had our daily visits with her beautiful family. I may need to get some of your courgette/zucchini recipes if all my plants flourish.

    Hi Marie, Natalie is a good friend and her blog was always so interesting. Your sons tree pictures will be a wonderful teaching tool and what a wonderful chance for you to see the seasons through your son's eyes.

    Hi Anna, yes Jewels' blog touched so many people's lives in such a short time and I'm sure made many of us look at our world in a new way. It's lovely to know that in a tiny corner of the USA a sweet family is living such a sweet simple life.

    Hi Quinne, thanks. I love fairs, there will be lots of school and church fairs here over the next few months.

    Hi Rhonda, don't worry, I'm not stopping. The red tree is a crab apple.

    Hi Lenny, yesterday was perfect weather wasn't it, it just made your heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only read one of Natalie's posts (I went there from Jewels' blog), but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I came to your blog through Jewels as well.

    I didn't start out looking for blogs - I was searching for modest clothing resources and ended up on Eyes of Wonder. What a blessing! I'm so grateful for all I learned from Jewels and her beautiful family!

    I've enjoyed visiting your blog. Your dolls are precious and your simple life so appealing. Your dog is REALLY CUTE.

    Thank you for taking the time to blog. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I am so sad that Jewels is not going to add to her blog anymore. Yours is also one of my favorites, and I am compelled to comment and thank you for your inspiration! I love "visiting" your beautiful island.
    Love the photo of your dog. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jenny:

    Below is a link to the zucchini (courgette) bread recipe I've used with success. (Even husband liked it!) I've also tried substituting applesauce for 1/2 the veg oil, and it is just as good.

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Zucchini-Bread-IV/Detail.aspx

    The Courgette lasagna recipe is more complicated, but basically I:

    1. slice the courgettes thinly, along with red or green bell peppers (capiscum), 2 cloves garlic minced, Italian herbs (oregano is a must, then rosemary, thyme, basil, what else I have on hand in the garden), black pepper, onion, and saute in a couple glugs of olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the veg are soft.

    2. Then I put in enough chopped tomatoes and some tomato passata in to the pan to make a chunky sauce, bring to boil, turn down the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. The whole thing goes into my food processor, and is blended to make a slightly chunky sauce. I am interested in mimicking the texture of mince in the sauce.

    3. Then I alteratively layer the courgette sauce, no-cook lasagna noodles, and a mixture of ricotta/chopped fresh mozzarella cheese/parsley to make the lasagna, topping it with more sauce and some freshly grate parmesan cheese

    4. Bake at 350 farenheit (I think that is about 180 Celsius) for 40 minutes in a fan-assisted oven, 50 mins in a traditional oven. I bake it covered for about 1/2 hour, and then take the cover off to let the top brown and set a bit.

    I let it cool about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

    Have fun anticipating all those garden veg

    Best,

    Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny, your blog is so beautiful I love your pictures each day. I like the idea of that dish, my sink is round so I need to hunt down something like it but round of course! I too have noticed a few blog closing - both Isabella and Jewels will be sorely missed :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spring and Poppy dog. Thankyou for peaceful things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.