Slideshow Widget

The Lives of Others.

7 Aug 2007



I have just been sitting beside the fire with its generous heat listening to the wind outside and the soft breathing of the dog stretched out blissfully by the hearth. Don't you love listening to the weather outside when you are cosy inside. It was one of my favourite things as a child , to lie awake in my snuggly bed and listen to the wind in the trees or the rain beating on the tin roof.


I've had a funny old day. I was supposed to be going to see a film with friends, not something I do often. All I could think about from the time I woke this morning was all the things I'd rather be doing than sitting in a cinema in the middle of the day, such a waste of time I kept telling myself. I even rang my friend to cancel but she was already out of the house and she had her mobile phone turned off.


Grudgingly, I went and I must say once I was actually in the theatre I really enjoyed the film. "The Lives of Others" is a German film, thankfully with subtitles as I don't speak German. It's set in East Germany before the fall of the Berlin Wall and deals with the Stasi, the secret police.


The casting and acting were superb, I loved it more and more as it went on. It is quite a long film, about 2 1/2 hours but I really didn't ever feel bored with it, I didn't feel there was anything wasteful in the script. The two male leads were so attractive in very different ways, one just normal leading man handsome but a bit rough around the edges and the other had the most expressive eyes which became kinder and more compassionate as the film went on.


I think I enjoyed the film the most out of the three of us, I also liked the fact that admission was reduced because it was Tuesday. When we came out I expected it to be dark but of course it was bright sunshine, most of the day had gone and I needed to get home, have a late lunch and light the fire so the house would be warm when the children arrived home from school.

Years ago when I was a student I often went to the movies during the day , perhaps time wasn't so precious then.

ps: the film is rated MA15 In Australia and R in the States because there is some nudity and there are sex scenes but no violence.

9 Responses to “The Lives of Others.”

  1. Oh I love the film and the actor too. He died last week in age of 53.
    Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I grew up with that same love of hearing cold weather outside but being warm and comfy. I'm glad you liked the film. I'll look out for it here. I speak a bit of German and I'm sure H would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this film ,but haven't yet seen it. I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a surperb film so I'm glad you got out to see it. I too am often reluctant to leave home so I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another homebody. :-) It takes a lot to get me out and about too but that film sounds like it would be worth it. Glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still one of my favourite things- to listen to the weather, or look at the weather- moonshine on fresh snow, or tree limbs waving in the wind- and be cozy and safe inside.

    How wonderful for your children, to come home to a warm and cozy house, because their mother lit the fire...

    ...Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I have just been sitting beside the fire with its generous heat listening to the wind outside and the soft breathing of the dog stretched out blissfully by the hearth. Don't you love listening to the weather outside when you are cosy inside. It was one of my favourite things as a child , to lie awake in my snuggly bed and listen to the wind in the trees or the rain beating on the tin roof"......Your lovely writing so often brings tears to my eyes. What a thoughtful, tender, childlike heart you possess--and I mean that in the very, very, best way. I am excited about your birthday! I smiled from ear-to-ear envisioning you, the homebody, trying to get out of going at the last minute :o) I'm glad you enjoyed your time. ((Jenny)) thanks for your beautiful sharing, everyday.
    Jewels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip about the film. I'll have to watch for it at my local library. The kids will miss on this one due to content but Rick and I can still benefit from hearing the German language.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Angelika, That's very sad that he has passed away. He was a fine actor.

    Hi Rhonda, I'm sure you will both love it.

    Hi Natalie, You should see it if you can. I really think it benefited from being on the big screen , so much more intense.

    Hi Carolyn, it was great wasn't it.

    Hi Polly, yes it sometimes takes a bit to shift me out of the house, although I'm always happy to go for a walk.

    Hi Marie, it's a habit handed down to me from my mum, always make sure they have a cosy house to come home to.

    Hi Jewels, thanks for the kind words. I do get ridiculously excited about my birthday. I love it that each of us has a special day to share with the ones we love. By the way you can note it in your diary, 14th August, cake, chocolates and coffee at Jenny's house. I'll keep you a seat by the fire.

    Hi Marie, I don't speak German but I am starting to get an ear for it now after listening to the boys over the past few years. I had always thought that German was quite a harsh sounding language but the more I hear it the softer it becomes. The music, the language and the sets were so evocative in this movie, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.