A trip to the shops

18 Jul 2007



I committed the unpardonable last night. I fell asleep on the couch while watching Stephen and Andy play a board game. Louis was on the computer working on some study and I was waiting to post on my blog. I woke to Louis and Stephen settling in with a hot chocolate to watch the Tour de France on the TV. So I took myself off to bed.






I woke this morning to a stunning day. The early part of this week has been bone achingly cold, windy, rainy and overwhelming dark. The weather and the mountains were doing their thing and this morning all was revealed. Beautiful snow and a crisp clear day, the kind that makes you grateful to be alive and living in this part of the world.






You can't actually see Ben Lomond in this picture, my camera isn't good enough to catch any more than the clouds playing around the peak.





But Mt Barrow was on show through the hazy sunshine. This is the view as I walk down to the shops. Although our street is quiet and calm we live only a five minute walk, by a series of quiet dead end streets, from the busiest shopping area in Launceston. Lots of the locals were out walking today, grateful for a chance to get around in the sunshine.





On the way to the shops , just near the supermarket they have planted lots of native trees that are popular with the bird population. There are a number of different types of wattle, I don't know their names but they are all in very stages of beginning to blossom.
There is also the odd grevillea thrown in for good measure.



















I have a love/hate relationship with wattles. The blossoms are so pretty. As a child I was forever bringing bunches of it home to mum, but as soon as it was inside I was aware of its perfume, to me its rather unpleasant and it makes me sneeze.
( You can click on any of the pictures for a better look)






This is Mt Barrow from the front of our house. As you come down the street, especially in a car you are aware of how pretty the mountain is when it's covered in snow. I know it's just a pimple compared to the mountains of other countries but it's our mountain, my mountain and I love it.





When I arrived home I found a parcel from my friend Jayne in Canada. She found this lovely toy pattern at a thrift store and thought of me. Thanks so much. I really love the elephant and the cat.



I did pop into my local charity shop while I was down the street and found a lovely handmade copper candlestick, made in Tasmania, a couple of pretty doilies that I will be sending on to friends and some sturdy placemats with beautiful spring flowers that Katie will just love and will look perfect on the table as the seasons change.



7 Responses to “A trip to the shops”

  1. Hi Jenny
    Those snow capped mountains look nice, I must log on and see how my favourite mountain - Mt Wellington is looking at the moment!
    Have a good Wednesday/Thursday.
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally someone who agrees with me that wattle smells disgusting :)

    Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I thought of your hubby at the weekend, guess who is coming to Melbourne? It's Steely Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always forget that it is winter down under when we are having summer up yonder! Your mountain is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a good day at the charity shop! Dig that crazy camel on the pattern your friend sent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely view to have from your house. A view of open country yet you are able to walk to the town, perfect, I can understand why you like living there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tan, Steely Dan has been playing here for months, in my loungeroom. I'm sure Mt Wellington would have snow although it has been colder in Launceston than Hobart.

    Hi Kez, Wattle should smell nice because it looks pretty. A cruel trick by mother nature.

    Hi Regina and thank you, it is a beautiful mountain.

    Hi Natalie, sure is a crazy camel. If I make the whole set I'll be able to fill Noah's ark.

    Hi Willow, thanks. Most of the time you don't notice the mountain much but when there is snow she looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.