Slideshow Widget

Memory furniture

6 Jul 2007



Getting the washing dry on a damp still day is difficult, getting the washing dry when it's a damp still week is almost impossible. My kitchen has been transformed into a drying room with clean washing, in various stages of damp to dry, draped all around.





The washing line outside is full and I'm relaying things inside as there is space. At the beginning of the week I washed some crisp new red gingham ready to be made into new bedroom curtains. The room needs a bit of a jazz up , the old ones are some lounge room curtains I remodelled years ago. The gingham has been washed several times by the rain and today it was a quick job to make some rod pocket curtains and add some cheer to our room.








Gingham is friendly, cheery and a classic, I've always loved its simplicity and in red it reminds me of Christmas. The curtains are finished now and hanging in our bedroom, I reorganised the furniture as well. A touch of paint would be nice but there is no hurry. Our bedroom collects all the morning sun in spring and autumn and is cool and dark in the summer. It was always a favourite place for babies to have a morning nap in years gone by. There's not much of a long view but the plants that grow outside the window are lovely. A peach tree with wonderful sugar pink blossom in spring, a red bottle brush just the colour of the curtains is a favourite feeding spot for small and large birds after a drink of nectar, a small elder tree, a weeping tea tree and lots of geraniums. When the leaves are on the trees you can almost believe there isn't a drive way on the other side of the fence.






This room is filled with memory furniture. Many years ago, as a new husband, Stephen built our bed from Tasmanian myrtle and the wooden chest as well. My great grandmother's chest of drawers which you can't see holds memories of when I used to play with my Granny's hair clips when I visited as a little girl. The cream chest of drawers belonged to an old neighbour of mum's who was also a patient of mine and was a charming and feisty old girl. The little footstool was made by Louis at school. The old cane chair is covered in a quilt that mum made me and the baby shawl I knitted for my last baby, my Kate. The vase on the cupboard was my Gran's, the lamp used to be Mum's. The pictures on the wall were gifts from one of Stephen's sisters, and on the other side of the room are the wall vases my Grandfather gave my mum.



When I think about it most of the rooms in this house are filled with memory furniture. Is everyone's house like that? There seems to be a story to every piece of furniture, I'm sure they talk to one another when we're not here.

9 Responses to “Memory furniture”

  1. Houses with "memory furniture" are my favorite- to look at and to visit. I feel sorry for people who have a parlor that looks like the ad in the weekly furniture circular in the Sunday paper.

    I do like the wall vases. They must feel right at home with all the other memories. :-) The curtains are pretty, too- I like the way you draped them.

    ...Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lovely little blog here... I am visiting from Jewels...
    We have our own memory furniture as my hubby built most of the furniture in our house from pine, including our bed! Your hubby seems to be very talented as well! Of course, this was over a period of 20 years or so now, so each room is filled with his special gift for furniture making.
    I look forward to visiting you more often...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The curtains are lovely in the windows! I really like your term "memory furniture". The vast majority of furniture in our home is "memory furniture". I love it that way! As I was dusting a great deal of it yesterday I was thinking about the memories I have of the family members it once belonged to. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful post, Jenny. We too, have lots of memory furniture, and I love the term. I have often told the children that if I wasn't such a busy mama, I would have loved to have pursued carpentry. I've time I turn around there's another piece of *memory furniture* I'd like to build--who knows, maybe one day :o I did have a part in making our big dining room table and a few big wooden dollhouses for the children, with friends. Your new curtains look so nice. I hope your day's a lovely one.
    Warmly, Jewels

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, that is like our house. What could be nicer? I would just expect you to have a house full of furniture with stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That chest is lovely.

    I love hearing about the history of people's things. We inherited most of our furniture from my husband's grandparents (both sides). We just happened to be getting married when other people were getting newer things and handing their own hand-downs on. At first I wished I could choose my own furniture but now I am grateful to have such lovely old things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad made our sofa, our dining chairs and one of our book cases. My mum gave me a beautiful Turkish rug when we were married and our bed belonged to my grandma! If it wasn't for my wonderful relatives I think our house would be pretty characterless. It's good to have a connection to the past and have things around you which you love and have meaning. I may do a very similar post...stealing your ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Your curtains are so cheery, I'm sure they will greet you kindly every morning as you wake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what can I say, gigham, especially red gigham is a pure love of mine. Thanks for a lovely post
    Suzie Sews

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.