Playing Hookey

7 Jun 2007



Who are these two strange creatures draping themselves along the branches of my naked magnolia? I think they are called holiday timewasters. I have so much sewing I NEED to be doing; PJs for Kate, skirt for me, curtains for the hallway but instead I played hookey today with these two. I needed a break from my Steiner dolls.





I guess these dolls are in the style of the American primitive dolls, a style that has fascinated me for some time and with which I have dabbled before. They are certainly fun to make though meant for adults rather than children's playthings. I'm knitting a little cardigan for this one and I might make her skirt look a little tatty.





This one looks like ET's auntie at the moment but once she has her face and maybe some hair she won't be quite so odd. Really they couldn't be further from my usual doll making efforts but I think they will scrub up OK.



I'm trying very hard to only use what craft supplies I have and I have plenty. Primitive dolls, like all forms of rag doll, are associated with the notion of doing the best you can with what you have and allowing your creativity and love for the receiver to guide your hands.






I don't know anything about World Doll Day or where I found this logo, it's something I copied some weeks ago. But, in honour of World Doll Day, I'm going to give away one of these charming girls, not sure which one yet. I'm sure both of them would be good listeners and be happy to sit in a dusty corner watching over your home.Remember grown up girls need dolls too. Just leave a comment any time between now and Saturday to let me know that you are interested. I will draw the name of the winner on Sunday , my time.In the mean time I'll keep working on them and do my best to avoid the jobs I should be doing.



11 Responses to “Playing Hookey”

  1. Generosity is the most wonderful trait in a person, Jenny.

    I thought I was accessing your blog via a link on mine but found this morning I've been coming here via ALS. I've rectified that now.

    Enjoy your day and your lovely dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh ooh I'm very interested in your doll. They are both beautiful. I've been trying to make a cloth doll for 2 months now but it has proven to be difficult. I guess I'll stick to knitting.

    Thanks
    Nadege Armour
    knit_fool@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I think I best leave a comment too.....they are gorgeous and make me feel quite envious, craft, especially sewing is not my thing.

    cheers Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Yes please count me in! Oh, and it does you good to play hookey once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I am interested. I love rag dolls best of all toys, and yours are not only lovely but also artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your primitive girls are lovely as are all your dolls. I found your blog through your Etsy shop and have been enjoying reading about your creative life and work.

    Jill, London

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I'm in!!! You are so talented!
    I'm not very crafty either agreeing with Lenny.;)
    It's fun to look at your work.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everybody, this is little miss wren. The weather is fine here in germany. Sitting on a fence we are celebrating world doll day. My little friend is planning a long journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandmother taught me that dolls are for every girl, forever!

    I love your new dolls! Thanks for letting us know about Doll Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how fun : ) Pick me pick me my inner child whispers...

    Paix, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I wish I had taken time to read blogs earlier! I would have loved to have made a doll for this!

    I'll make a note for next year. :-)

    I love the dolls you've made. I think Constance is my favorite. I have a soft spot for that style of doll.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.