Long Post

27 Jun 2007


WARNING: gratuitous vintage pictures ahead.







The generous Natalie has been sending me some lovely things lately. This week I received a very quaint and inventive book of gift making from the late 40s/early 50s and a chocolate bar.





The book holds some real treasures . Here's one for grandpa, a smoking cap. In these days of low tolerance to cigarette smokers it will keep his head warm while he sits outside for a quiet smoke.





And here is the perfect gift for the teenage girl in your life, a gay knitted cap. It's quite cute in a Tommy Cooper kind of way.





Stephen is rather partial to this little van. I always think these little vans and trucks are very friendly looking





And I can see this being a real winner, a seat to carry baby around.





This I think would actually be very practical, I often tuck my ball of wool into my cardigan pocket so I can knit standing up or so that the kittens don't attack my wool. There are also quite a few good knitting projects in this lovely book. Thanks Natalie.






She also sent me this lovely homemaking book some time ago. It is fascinating reading and a real treasure.





It also has this beautiful end paper. Don't you just love it?






The book is in a similar vein to this Persephone book on homemaking for the newly servantless.








As with all this publisher's books the endpapers are a real treat.





One last homemaking book, this time one of my secondhand bookshop finds. This book is more about home decorating than housework and was written after WWII when furnishings in the UK were difficult to find but people were anxious to redecorate and celebrate the end of the privations of war.





Dull endpaper but interesting inscription






IT has many beautiful colour schemes mostly based on the colours of nature






Most of the rooms are very simply but comfortably furnished
and much of her advice rings true.





It's really quite an engaging as well as educational book.





And this is the last glimpse anyone ever had of the chocolate bar.






ps My Mother in law has had a reasonable day and is finding it a little easier to speak. Stephen was able to talk to her on the phone and providing he asked yes/no type questions they could communicate quite well. Thanks again for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers.



7 Responses to “Long Post”

  1. I'm glad to hear your mother-in-law is improving. My father-in-law has has similar problems due to strokes.

    I find the vitage homemaking books fascinating too. I'm especially interested in the one for the newly servantless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray! It arrived! Yes, that little book is full of interesting stuff to make...my granddad looked like Tommy Cooper, he was a publican and kept a fez behind the bar...every now and then he'd amuse the regulars..."just like that".

    I'm glad that you MIL is a little better, may these improvements continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jenny :o) I am so thankful to hear that your dear mother-in-law is doing a bit better. She's blessed to have family that cares for her and even takes into consideration the impact it's all having heart-wise--I'm praying for her, and all the family. I, too, just love vintage homemaking books--especially when they have photos! Your gift making book looks great! How about that baby carrier--looks like *too* much fun for the baby! I hope your day is lovely, Jenny.
    Warmly, Jewels

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to hear your mother-in-law is making progress.
    I love those old books on house keeping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful little book! I love those caps. I remember Tommy Cooper and his fez. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books. I love old housekeeping and cookery books. I am glad you mother-in-law is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so nice to have a look at these books, the endpapers of the persephone book is so beautiful!
    Can you show us more of the inside of the book for the newly servantless?
    Looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.