Slideshow Widget

Kate's pictures

24 Jun 2007



My beautiful Kate had a little project from her teacher to do over the holidays - to take a picture of a thing, not a person, that means home to her.





She is still trying to decide although she thinks she will choose our front door. It's nothing glamorous and it's not even at the front of the house but it means the entrance to her safe little world.





It means the love of her family, warmth and comfort, good food, cuddly pets...





especially her beloved kittens.








Once inside the doors anything that has troubled her can be soothed away. She can play fantastic games that make her a famous fashion designer or take her into her own dolls house world ( ignore the cat with the eyes ablaze, she means trouble)...





or she can simply sit by the fire , feel safe , accepted, comfortable, warm, loved, excited, dreamy,





content in her happy little world. Remember how good it felt to come home from school, throw off your uniform , pull on your comfy clothes, eat some afternoon tea and decide how to spend the next few precious hours before bedtime.



11 Responses to “Kate's pictures”

  1. What a beautiful girl Kate is and a very talented photographer.
    I read your blog on a daily basis and always find it inspirational.
    I am seventy four now, but you summed up for me exactly the feeling I used to have on returning to the safety of home after a long day at school.
    Thank you.
    Sincerely Erna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow they are great pictures, I love your front door it reminds me of a beautiful sunrise. I hope that my kids feel like that when they come home, I must ask them.
    It would be interesting to see what the other children bring in for their photos.....if there is a common theme or a diverse range of images?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Jenn, and Kate is so pretty!
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a very pretty front door, is it original from the 1930s? Its been raining most of the day here and although its supposed to be summer that woodburning stove looks very appealing.
    Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post and nice pictures. It's so interesting to see what home means to a child. It's all the important, normal stuff that's part of the fabric of childhood that's contained within a home.

    Oh, and I love the evil cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Jenny, I love your warm, gentle, entirely sincere way of writing and sharing. I always get the best feeling from visiting with you. Kate is just beautiful--how precious. You are such a loving mama, your children are so blessed to have you. I am waving to you from my bedroom window, just before shutting down the computer and crawling into bed with my book and book light--to read about 2 pages before nodding off to dreamland :o) We had such a full and busy day, today....kite flying, the whole family at the playground running and playing, then a picnic, together at home. It was beautiful--a perfect summer day, but I am t-i-r-e-d out! It was nice to come visit you at the close of it, Jenny. I loved Erna's sweet comment, too. See you, tomorrow, Jenny.
    xo Jewels

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Erna, I'm so glad you left a comment and that you enjoy my blog.Some things never change do they, it was always a wonderful feeling to me to come home after a long day at school.

    Hi Anonymous, The front door really looks like a sunrise in the summer time when the sun floods through it. Very pretty.

    Hi Tan, Kate gets all her good looks from me of course, ha ha.

    Hi Carolyn, thank you.

    Hi Willow, yes the front door is the original 1930s door. It does have a few broken panes from vigorous indoor soccer and cricket.

    Hi Natalie,I think it is the "normal" stuff that is so important. Our main experience of home is what happens every day not just on special occasions.

    Hi Susan, Thanks.

    Hi Jewels,such a lovely comment. It was nice of you to visit. Your day sounds very satisfying.See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Erna, I'm so glad you left a comment and that you enjoy my blog.Some things never change do they, it was always a wonderful feeling to me to come home after a long day at school.

    Hi Anonymous, The front door really looks like a sunrise in the summer time when the sun floods through it. Very pretty.

    Hi Tan, Kate gets all her good looks from me of course, ha ha.

    Hi Carolyn, thank you.

    Hi Willow, yes the front door is the original 1930s door. It does have a few broken panes from vigorous indoor soccer and cricket.

    Hi Natalie,I think it is the "normal" stuff that is so important. Our main experience of home is what happens every day not just on special occasions.

    Hi Susan, Thanks.

    Hi Jewels,such a lovely comment. It was nice of you to visit. Your day sounds very satisfying.See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter really is adorable. I had to marvel at the description of afterschool life though, sounds just amazing. Myself i remember dreading it, the house was way too chaotic to focus and get all the horrible piles of homework done we were given to do, let alone to rest. I look back and hug myself to know that those school days are over truth be told, they were so chaotic and exhausting.

    But it is nice to see when they can turn out so well, encouraging : ) ...

    Paix,

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.