Slideshow Widget

Requests

17 May 2007



REQUEST NO. 1

No Natalie, the Feijoa is not a type of Medlar. It's all medlars with you at the moment isn't it. The Feijoa is a small shrub that has these beautiful flowers in the summertime, just perfect for Christmas in my neck of the woods and then come Autumn it is covered in egg shaped green fruit which drop to the ground when they are ready to be eaten.
According to Wiki, they are a native of South America, mostly found in Brazil. I always thought they were a New zealand plant but I find I am once again deluded. Anyway they are easy to grow and I think they would make a good edible hedge. The children love them though you have to eat a bazillion to ever feel full and I think they are high in vitamin C, so very good for this time of the year. I read that they have been grown as far north as western Scotland so maybe you English types could plant one and see.




REQUEST NO. 2

Yes, of course Jayne, you can have the tea cake recipe. The one I use is from my 1969 version of COOKERY - The Australian Way.

6 oz SR flour ( 1 1/2 cups)
2 oz butter
3 oz castor sugar ( 1/2 cup)
1 egg
6 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping:
1 teaspoon melted butter
1 dessertspoon castor sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Sift flour and salt
Beat egg
Cream butter and sugar
Add egg to creamed mixture
Add flour and milk alternately, 1/3 at a time, mixing lightly
Place in greased and base lined sponge cake pan, hollow out the centre slightly
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes in 375 F oven
Turn out on cake cooler or directly onto plate
( make sure you don't throw it on the floor like I did)
and brush with melted butter while still warm
then sprinkle with the combined cinnamon and sugar.

This definitely meant to be eaten warm though if there is any left my mum used to eat it cold with a healthy slab of butter on it. Oh, and you really should have a cup of tea with it.

I've had a busy and interrupted day with more of the Competitions plus a trip to the library and the second hand bookshops as I was in town so I haven't been doing any happy snaps. I know everyone must be desperate to see the Autumn vest but tomorrow will have to be soon enough. Manana. Manana. ( I can't do the little dooverlacky over the n )


2 Responses to “Requests”

  1. Hey, Medlars fall to the ground when they're ready to be eaten, don't cha know!

    However, I'm obviously attracted to strange fruit (no, not the Billie Holliday song) so I may try to source
    some seeds/stones? How much will you pay me if I get one to grow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Feijoas! We have two trees in our backyard and at the moment I have bags of them to use up in baking and eating :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.