Slideshow Widget

A Proper Party Dress

29 Apr 2007



Kate turns 10 in August and she wants to have a costume party. She wants her guests to dress like children from the past in proper party dresses. This is the dress she wants. It's a pattern from my stash of vintage patterns. She wants the white dress in the middle. It looks a little old for her but with the right fabric choice I'm sure it will be perfect. I haven't used an unprinted pattern before but what bliss not to have to cut out or trace off the paper pattern. She wants to look for fabric tomorrow. There is only one dress fabric store in town so I hope they have something suitable.





I want to share a dear little book I found at the op shop last week. It is a school reader originally published in 1934 and republished in 1955. The illustrations are so lovely, some are paintings and some are pen and ink. The artist is Rene Cloke who illustrated many of the Enid Blyton books.











I haven't seen such beauty in any of my children's early school readers.



11 Responses to “A Proper Party Dress”

  1. I had a dress very much like that, mine was white with red polka dots. Love that book, it's a real beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that book is so beautiful! What a treasure. I love the dress pattern - I'm sure you'll find just the right fabric. What a great idea for a party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book is realy a treasure.The picture are so beautiful.
    I love the dress pattern. Your daughter would look as a Princess if she wears it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't those dresses lovely. I'm sure your daughter will be the belle of any ball when she wears one of those. Amber, too is into these types of dresses and I keep thinking I'll make her one but my dressmaking skills need some honing. BTW have you seen the original Parent Trap with Hayley Mills? The girls wear the most divine dresses for the party at the beginning of the film.

    Thanks so much for mentioning my blog by the way in your faves - I'm truly honoured I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the Hayley Mills film eons ago, I'll have to watch it again, with my daughter. She is yet to be introduced to Hayley, I'm sure she will love her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea to use vintage patterns for a party dress! I hope you'll find the right fabric and show us the results...

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful images!!! thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wow! That book is gorgeous. I love the Christmas fairies!

    I think the white dress is the prettiest too and you're very brave about there nor being a paper pattern. I'm really interested to see how it comes out, now that I have new found interest in dress making.

    PS. If D is not wearing her "George" outfit, she likes 1940s dresses, like Susan and Lucy in the Narnia film, we bought her a little tea dress to wear for posh, she looks about 25 in it. They grow up too quickly don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see what you mean! I love those jolly fairies dancing among the holly branches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is sure to be beautiful. Can't wait to see the results.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great style! I found your blog from down shifting path's blog and I think I found her through Simple Katie, but I'm not sure about that! I'm off to enter the drawing for your giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.