Slideshow Widget

Anzac Day

25 Apr 2007


My mum in her brother Jack's army coat and cap. Three of her four brothers went to war, all three came back.



My mum with her best friend Billie. These photos were taken in July 1940 just after Jack joined up.

Anzac Day is when all Australians and New Zealanders remember those who gave up their lives and their youth and innocence to fight for their country and freedom.



"They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."
(Laurence Binyon 1869 - 1943)

"Lest we forget"



4 Responses to “Anzac Day”

  1. I'm so glad you are posting about Anzac Day too! We spent most of the day at a public service with my husband's grandad, who fought in the 2nd world way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum had 7 brothers (and 2 sisters - big families in those days!) - 3 of her brothers went to war too, and fortunately all came back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem, a fitting tribute to those who have served.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, it is interesting to read how other nations commemorate their war fallen. Our Memorial Day is coming near the end of May.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.