Slideshow Widget

Patches and Stitches

11 Feb 2007



When I became a mother I decided that every bed in my house would have a homemade patchwork quilt. So I set about making that wish come true. First I made Mr 17's quilt; it had to be made in his football team's colours ( Adelaide). I went for a pale yellow rather than a pushy gold, I couldn't live with that.




Mr 14's is all blues and yellows with highlights of green,red, gold and orange. It is actually backed with an old orange sheet that belonged to my brother when we were kids. It is all the colours of childhood. All the fabrics have star on them and were also used to make Christmas wallhangings for the rest of my extended family. When Mr 14 was very ill in hospital last year he wanted his quilt with him to comfort him. I think it helped him feel connected to home.

The boys share a room so their quilts had to compliment each other but still be individual.






Miss 9's quilt is all sunshine, giggles and little girl's dreams. It is a handsewn sampler quilt that I made as part of a course I did with a friend to introduce her to quilting. She only completed one block, a very expensive way to find out that quilting is not your thing. My daughter adores her quilt and says she is sleeping under a blanket of love.







The quilt on our bed was made about 25 years ago by my mum. It is all hand sewn and quilted . Although it is faded and battle scarred it is very special. Mum made one for my sister as well and then never made another quilt until a couple of years ago when she made a bright and cheery quilt for her own bed.








I have been itching to make another quilt but there are no more beds. Maybe I should be making quilts ready for when my children start heading off on their own. I started a quilt about 4 years ago as a block of the month project. I have all the materials and have finished 5 of the 6 panels. For some reason I just stopped and packed it away. It is an Australian design, Chook Shed designs - Country Collectibles, and involves a lot of blanket stitch applique.



I hunted it out today. It wouldn't take much to finish it. Perhaps it could be a winter quilt for Miss 9's bed. What do you think?









12 Responses to “Patches and Stitches”

  1. Your quilts are beautiful! I love them all and the colors you picked for that applique quilt are just perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are so lovely..I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes do finish that for your daughter! i love the idea of a winter quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for showing us those beautiful quilts. Each one of them is special and means a lot to their owners. I think winter quilts are a great idea and a perfect excuse to carry on making them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. By all means, finish it! My children are bugging me for their "second quilts," except for dd13, who somehow has FOUR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would make a lovely winter quilt for pretty Miss 9 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are amazing! Love all the quilts and the kittens too. Maybe you should get started on more quilts after all one day there may be grandchildren and great grandchildren, cot quilts, single bed quilts, double bed quilts....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what quilts! They are all beautiful and individual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilts are lovely, but I must admit I enjoy your kitty pictures most of all. They are adorable and it makes me remember our babies - now approaching 2 years old. I love how smart your children look as they are off to school in a post a bit back - our American children (here anyway) wear "comfy" clothes of jeans, t-shirts and tennies. Quite a dismal contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They certainly are 'blankets of love'. Each one is beautiful! I think that applique quilt is gorgeous also. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww...blanket of love!!! Doesn't that just play at the heartstrings!?!

    I love quilts and have them all over the house, but I'm only just now getting brave enough to try making them myself. I'm in awe of the thought of hand-sewing the whole thing!!! I'm not that brave. I'll be using a sewing machine.

    Please don't think that you have to limit quilts to beds!! I have hung them on the walls, used them as tablecloths... I even have a hand-pieced quilt top serving as a shower curtain.

    Your quilts are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the owners of those quilts can feel the love and effort spent on making them. What a special thing you've done for them. They're lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.