Hobbit House

26 Feb 2007



Well the party is done and dusted and a very nice time was had by all. Lots of food was eaten and some long trips taken down memory lane.





The gingerbread house was almost a disaster. I have made about ten houses before without any trouble but this time. Crikey. It must have been the humidity. A perfectly ordinary symmetrical house overnight turned into a hobbit house.




The roof started to sink until we had a lovely organic shape that mudbrick builders only dream of. In order to make it look less like a bodgy job and more like a design feature I added a stripey technicolour chimney which ofcourse only drew attention to my dippy roof.




Still when covered with Dad's favourite lollies and presented with great flourish it was a more than passable present. Mum and Dad came round for the party post- mortem today and say that the smell of gingerbread all through the house is marvellous and they can't resist cracking the house much longer. I think my Dad is very relieved to have made it to 80 after last year's dramas. It as though he can relax now and just enjoy life.


9 Responses to “Hobbit House”

  1. I'm glad a good time was ahd by all! I really like the "free form" ginger bread house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad ur dad had a good day....i love the house....id eat the chimney lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gingerbread house and belated birthday greetings to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making gingerbread houses makes me cranky. But your is adorable !!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the way gingerbread smells when baking too. This past Christmas was the first time in years I have made gingerbread men. Maybe next year I'll work my way up to a house. My daughter would be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love your house, it´s incredible nice with it´s not-so-polished style. How lovely to imagine those little hobbits inside, busy with baking and chatting and sitting in their rocking-chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your house is lovely - stripy chimney and all! Glad your dad had a good time - the menu sounded eclectic and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the licorish allsort chimney!
    Tania

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.