Slideshow Widget

China and Platinum

23 Jan 2007



Today I went in to town to the library and I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. She told me she was now divorced, her marriage broke up 2 1/2 years ago. She has been divorced for 1 year. They had been married for about 20 years. They have three school age children.



About 10 years ago a lady I worked with told me about spending her weekend consoling a friend whose marriage had just broken up. She said it had become a regular happening in her life. She was in her forties , I was in my thirties and she was amazed that my friends weren't also divorcing.



Jump forward 10 years and divorce is all around me. Most relationships look fine from the outside and then wham! it's all over. Some one in my own family has been married three times.


Tomorrow my husband and I celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Wish us luck for the next 20 years. It seems nothing is permanent these days.









12 Responses to “China and Platinum”

  1. 20 years is a wonderful thing! I am in my second marriage and it is a great one. I am still friends with my ex husband but it still is so tough on the kids. I was very young when I went through both the marriage and the divorce and having been through it all and putting the kids through it all I would have to say to anyone who asked to try and stick it out. or really be sure before you get married in the first place. My parents have been married for over 40 years and I am just about the only person I know who can say that about their parents! So, the best of luck to you. I hope your love last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about marriage and divorce these days, I can only think of 2 of our friends who are still on their first marriage. But some of us are stayers as opposed to "bolters" and I am sure you are one of the former. So I'll wish you luck but I doubt you need it. Happy Anniversary for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me think about divorces and patchwork-families, my family and my friends, and you were so right, there are a lot of second and third marriages. It seems, that this is very common today, but it frightens me and if ever possible I try not to get deep into it, so I never read a novel or watch a movie where a couple is struggling and separating. Maybe ostrich policy or superstistious.
    20 years mean so much love and caring, responsibility and understanding for each other, I am sure you will have a wonderful day tomorrow and I wish you all the luck and love for the next 20 years and many more. Happy 20th Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A blessed anniversary to you!

    You can be the ones everyone points to and say, "they know how to do it right." Obviously you know what works--keep doing it!

    --Barbara, married going on 32 years, with parents married 64

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's wishing you and your Mister a very happy anniversary and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on twenty years of marriage! We share the same month. On the 18th, my husband and I celebrated our anniversary of 32 years. My parents have been married 57 years. Love is a choice. May you have many more years ahead!
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on 20 years of wedded bliss. May you have a special day to commemerate your anniversary. I am approaching 19 yrs in a few months, although sad to say that many around us including family and friends have not been successful in marriage. Perhaps it is the changing world we live in. All the best for tomorrow and another 20 yrs. Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it sad and shocking when you find out a friend is divorcing. I always hate it when I find out.

    Well Congratulations on your 20th anniversary. Enjoy every minute of it. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Jenny! I hope your marriage stays strong for another 20 years! (At least!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your forthcoming 20 years. Marriage is definitely only as good as the foundation it stands on, and the effort put into it. If the love is there, respect, trust and hope is there then it can withstand anything.

    Many good wishes to you both on a long, happy marriage.

    p.s. I definitely believe in soulmates :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 20th Anniversary!
    I wish you all the love for the next 20 years!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.