Slideshow Widget

Afghans and Anzacs

15 Jan 2007



Nothing is better than homebaked biscuits (cookies). I've never lived in a home without them, even in my student days in a share house someone always managed to bake something yummy. My mum always kept our home well supplied when I was a child and even now she sometimes brings containers full of slices or biscuits for the children (?).


This weekend I made Anzacs and Afghans. Anzacs are the oatmeal biscuits that belong to New Zealand and Australia named after the Anzac troops in the First World War. They are always a good stand-by for lunch boxes and because they have rolled oats in them you can even pretend they are healthy. I have no idea of the history of Afghan biscuits but they are a great way to use up the cornflakes in the bottom of the packet that nobody wants to eat.


AFGHAN BISCUITS

180g (6oz) butter
1/3cup castor (superfine) sugar
1 1/2cups plain flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1cup corn flakes, lightly crushed
1/4 coco
nut, toasted

Beat butter and sugaruntil light and fluffy. Stir in sifted flour and cocoa, then cornflakes and coconut in two batches. Bake on a lightly greased tray in a moderate oven for about 12 minutes. Leave to cool on tray for 5 minutes before lifting on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Ice with melted chocolat
e melts or chocolate icing.


ANZAC BISCUITS

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup p
lain flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup coconut
125g ( 4oz) butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2 tablespoon
s boiling water

Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut. Combine butter and golden syrup in pan, stir over low heat until butter is melted. Combine soda and water, add to butter mixture, stir into dry ingredients while mixture is warm.
Place 3 teaspoons of mixture about 1 1/2 inches apart on greased oven trays press down lightly. Bake in slow oven for about 20 min
utes or until golden brown. Cool biscuits on trays.
Recipes from the Australian Women's Weekly book "Sweet Old Fashioned Favourites"


Many years ago I made a small afghan of another kind. The kind that is bright and colourful and keeps you warm when the w
eather starts to get a little chilly.






I've always loved the bright colours of scrap afghans. Probably made on a whim to use up a few odd balls of this and that. My Granny was a wonderful crocheter. In her older years she specialized in fine doilies in cream cotton but when I was little she made beautiful baby clothes and the occasional afghan. My mum has one that Granny made for my sister when she was a baby but not made up of granny squares like mine. Instead it is one giant granny square.





The scarf I am making could also be an afghan if I kept going,





But I think it makes a lovely scarf. I have a tiny bit to do and then it needs pompoms to finish it off.




My Granny made this little doll afghan for me 40 years ago.




It has seen better days and I have no idea how to repair it. My daughter still uses it but I don't think it will last through another generation.


10 Responses to “Afghans and Anzacs”

  1. The Afghan and the Anzac biscuits look yummy, and are *always* better than bought stuff.

    I really like the colours you've used in your scarf, very feminine and pretty ~ the blanket is gorgeous too. I could do with one of those for the evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom made the baby blankets she used for me and for my brother when we were babies. Perhaps 5 or 6 of them were passed along to me to use with my children. Unfortunately, only one is in good enough condition to pass along to the next generation. It is safely packed away.

    If it can't be repaired, maybe some of the yarn or edging can be saved to use on a new doll afgan that you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking cookies and the afghans are lovely, of corse the absolute favourite has to be the one your Grandma made - sentimental huh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny, more inspiration on your site! The afghans are lovely and tend to collect memories - I have one I made when a teenager travelling the 3 1/2 hours on the school bus each day. Little did I then realize it would become a cot blanket for our three children and has since earned a place in our car as a picnic rug. It now has one or two repairs. I don't know how to repair a lot of wear like your doll's afgan. My great-grandmother made one for my parents when they were married. It basically fell apart so I just kept an intact portion to put in my family history box.

    I used your recipe for Worcestershire Sauce last night - great results and so easy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anzac biscuits are one of my favourites (especially if they are chewy, which I find very hard to do). I haven't heard of Afghans before but they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmm!!..anzac biccies..what more can i say?!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking biscuits! I have never tried Anzac biscuits before so I'll give them a go. I didn't come from a "baking" kinda home, so perhaps that's why I'm so obseessed with homemade stuff...I love the Afghans and the scarf looks really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For all the Americans out there, I must point out that the coconut in an anzac biscuit has to be dry and fine not sweetend and moist like the only coconut I can ever find in the US is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so behind on my blog reading and enjoying catching up. I have a recipe for Anzac biscuits and often think of trying it, I think your post has spurred me on, the children will like the story behind them too.

    Your scarf is looking lovely, such beautiful colours, just the sorts of shades I love.

    My mouth is watering from looking back at your fruit pictures, on the thought of all that lovely fresh homegrown fruit, mmmmmm,if only.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so nice to visit. My parents traveled to New Zealand several years ago and my dad decided his favorite cookies in the world were Anzac biscuits. In the U.S. they continue to be a novelty. My dad died in an accident 5 years ago and my mom still makes them - lovely to remember. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.