Life's a Bowl of Cosies

15 Dec 2006









A nice cool image to soothe those worried by bushfires and heat. This is a candle my sister gave me for my birthday and as it melts it makes this wonderful pattern, it also smells glorious. A very benign flame.

The people of the east coast of Tasmania have been suffering again with the onslaught of fires and the firemen and volunteers have been working long exhausting hours trying to save as many houses as possible. Thankfully no one has perished but homes have been lost.




See what I found. This beauty was hiding at the back of the shelf unloved and unwanted and quite dirty. It cost the princely sum of $1.00. I brought it home and washed it, rinsed it and let it dry in the warm wind out on the line and now it is keeping my teapot cosy.


I feel a traitor to my old favourite but this way she gets a rest every now and then.





I also found these two pudding bowls . Well three actually but one was cracked and now contains my biscuit cutters. I'm going to use them to make frozen Christmas pudding to give to my sister and brother as part of their Christmas present.




Christmas Fruit Bombe

2 litres vanilla ice-cream
1/3 cup chopped glace pineapple
1/3 cup chopped glace apricots
1/3 cup halved glace red cherries
1/4 cup chopped glace ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
700g round rich fruit cake.

Lightly grease pudding bowl (7 cup capacity), line with plasic wrap.

Combine softened ice-cream and fruit in large bowl, stir in spices. Spoon mixture into prepared bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for about an hour or until just firm. Split cake in half, trim to fit top of ice-cream, press on gently, cover and freeze until firm. To serve, invert onto a serving plate, remove all plastic wrap. Serve with brandy cream sauce.

( Recipe from Australian Women's Weekly Christmas Book)




Our Christmas tree went up today, the house looks like Christmas. Presents are starting to arrive in the post, things are being hidden. Christmas is coming.



9 Responses to “Life's a Bowl of Cosies”

  1. Hi, Jenny! I adore your little bowls! So very sweet... and your dolls in the side-bar - they are just darling! Hope you are having a blessed Christmas - I always enjoy looking at your images posted. The postcards were delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I admire tea cozies. Beautiful colours and patterns, what a find ! My pudding bowls were bought during a trip to England in 1978 and are cherished items in my pantry. Treacle pudding is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little treasures! I enjoy candles too. We did some decorating today as well. I need to look up the glace fruits, are they candied fruits?

    Marie N.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bowls Jenn, enjoy the preparations. Ive just make home made crackers with my little one. The snaps were available at Spotlight.
    Have fun
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tea cozies! I have made fabric ones, but never have knitted any. Just looking at your makes me want to knit one. It must wait until after Christmas. :-(
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tea cozies are so lovely. The colors and the pattern is very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen such amazing knitted tea cosies in any of my local thrift shops ~ beautiful!
    Very pretty bowls.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the patterns of those tea cosies - many don't seem to even bother using tea-pots anymore, so they often end up in charity shops over here. Which is good, because I usually pick such things up - hehe.

    Sorry to hear about all the bush fires, I can't even imagine what that must be like, especially around this time of year.

    Take care and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.