Drowning in Worcestershire.

1 Dec 2006





Well the end of another week and I'm feeling quite weary. I have been waking up with the sun at about 5am but staying up way too late, knitting or reading or watching TV and losing track of time.



Everyone is peacefully asleep now even my husband who has finished work now until early February toddled off at about 9.30.

I've just finished the second part of the Christmas tree skirt, one to go. It has been rather pleasant to just knit and not have to concern myself with details such as will it be a good fit, will the colour really suit etc. I mean to say, a Christmas tree won't care one way or the other and if it looks appalling it will soon be covered with presents anyway.

I have also begun a summer sweater for myself. I decided against using any of my vintage patterns mainly because the ones I liked were all for quite fine wool and I didn't have any on hand. At this time of year with extra Christmas expenses I think it is wiser to try to use what I have. I'm using the wool cotton mix in a denim blue colour that I had used to make a cardigan and before I finished it I lost the pattern. I couldn't figure it out without the pattern and so , although I only had the two fronts to go, I unpicked it.



Here is the recipe I promised.



Worcestershire Sauce



3lb dark plums
3lb white sugar
2lb brown sugar
1 1/2 tins treacle ( I know, how much is a tin, my tin was about 1 3/4 lbs or 850g)
1/4 oz cayenne pepper
1/2 oz ground ginger
7 pints dark vinegar
4 oz garlic
1 oz white pepper
1 oz ground cloves
2 tablespoons salt.


Put all ingredients in a pan. bring to boil and cook for 2 1/2 hours. Strain, bottle and seal.


This recipe makes enough to keep a small nation in sauce for many years. Just scale it down to suit the amount of plums you have. It keeps very well.


I actually found a very similar recipe on the ABC radio Tasmania web site. The only difference seems to be the measurements are in metric and the cooking time is 2 hours. This recipe came to me from a friend of my mum. She supplies mum with the plums and mum makes it up and shares the sauce with her friend. I think it tastes better when it has had a chance to mature . The sauce I'm using now is nearly two years old. When you first cook it one good whiff almost blows your socks off.


We have a big weekend of cricket with # 2 son playing his last game of the school year and # 1 son playing in a three day game against their traditional rivals in the north of the state. It's a game keenly watched by lots of Old Boys. It's a bit like the Ashes really.

Hope you all have a happy weekend and a peaceful start to Advent.


6 Responses to “Drowning in Worcestershire.”

  1. Thanks for the recipe, hope the cricket matches go well. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud when I read 7 pints of dark vinegar! That is a lot of sauce :-o

    Imagine my relief to read that the full recipe supplies a small nation.

    I think I'll make a small fraction of the recipe. I checked and I have three bottles of worcestershire in my pantry. I enjoy using it to make marinades and barbeque.

    Happy sporting! Cricket is still a mystery to me, but one of my yet unread Smithsonian magazines happens to have an article about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds delicious...thanks for sharing your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely trying the recipe now, but will have to wait 9 months or so until our plums are in season! Good luck with your boys' cricket matches...but not good luck with the Ashes...I'm loving it at the moment, it's turning into an exciting test!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the tree skirt and sweater. The denim blue sounds like a nice color for a sweater. Hope you are having a nice weekend.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to wai tuntil our summer and plums arrive again--thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.