Advent in Tasmania

6 Dec 2006




It is the start of summer so it can be quite hot though there have been Christmas days where a fire has been needed to keep warm.


It is the end of the school year so the children and the teachers are tired and in need of a holiday.


Children are excited about Christmas and the upcoming long Summer holiday.


Daylight saving means it doesn't get properly dark until around 9pm so it is difficult to get children to bed.




Everyone gets more and more tired until school finishes and the holidays begin.


Some schools, not ours, don't finish until 4 days before Christmas mainly so that working parents don't have to struggle to find child care just before Christmas.


Everyone breathes a sigh of relief when school is finally finished and the summer holidays and Christmas can really begin.




My daughter is coming under pressure at school because she believes we are the only ones without a Chistmas tree up. We put ours up the first weekend after the end of school.


My cousin won the prize for sending the first Christmas card for the 20th year in a row. No doubt I will win the wooden spoon ....again.


December has surprised me again as a month that goes very quickly though I can still remember the times when it was the longest month of the year.


This year Advent is hot and windy and bush fires are a scary reality for many.


Many parents struggle to get everything, from buying every item in the supermarket to house renovations "done before Christmas" because everyone knows you can't do anything after. (I'm not sure why)



I enjoy:

* Slowly adding Christmas to the house, one or two decorations a day, a slow build up of our family traditions , a little bit of baking every so often, so that Christmas just seeps into the house and everything becomes special.





*Planning the Chrismas feast so that it fulfills everyone's dream of Christmas dinner.


*Putting the finishing and sometimes the beginning touches to homemade gifts and wondering if they will be appreciated or tolerated.





*Buying the last of the presents and hoping that Father Christmas has done a good job this year.





I love the idea that making school lunches is almost over for another year.


I loathe that as soon as Christmas is over, I mean the next day, all some people can think about is getting back to the shops and taking advantage of the bargains as if we were only put on this earth to spend money and consume.




I adore the long summer holiday when the children say our house feels like a holiday shack - no sand on the floor though. And this year my husband will be home for the duration so that's even better.




I love being the one who ''makes Christmas" and gives it as a gift to my family.



9 Responses to “Advent in Tasmania”

  1. These are things I can whole-heartedly second:

    * Slowly adding Christmas to the house, one or two decorations a day, a slow build up of our family traditions , a little bit of baking every so often, so that Christmas just seeps into the house and everything becomes special.
    *Planning the Chrismas feast so that it fulfills everyone's dream of Christmas dinner.
    *Putting the finishing and sometimes the beginning touches to homemade gifts and wondering if they will be appreciated or tolerated.

    Especially letting it seep into the house and our lives...somehow, I think if it seeps in, it lasts longer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to bring out a few decorations at a time too. When we do decorate our tree (about a week before Christmas so it will last through Twelfth Night) the kids want to help. So to cut the chaos, I like to have all the rest done by that time.

    I don't have a traditional meal for Christmas. In the past I have frequently bought a large ham because it is conveninet. The other parts of the meal may be whatever struck my fancy when I made my grocery list. I do always like to have fresh papaya, though. That is sometimes hard to get in Ohio.

    Thank you for taking the time to put all those lovely photos in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely Jenny. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Jenny! It is still hard for me to imagine that on your side of the world Christmas is in Summer time!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This photos are so lovely. Thank you
    Today it is so stormy outside. And on the top of the mountains it starts to snow.Christmas in Summer
    time must be something especially

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please, may I come to your house for Christmas? It sounds like such a delightful time. I always enjoy the anticipation of Christmas more than the day itself; I particularly love Christmas Eve.

    I think I'd love Christmas in Tasmania, too, where it's generally much cooler than the mainland. Happy Christmas, Jenny Wren.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great post Jenny! I love seeing and hearing about your holidays. It is so hard for me to imagine hot weather for Christmas, as we are presently staying close to the woodstove~it's a cold, blustery day here today.
    Christmas is 'seeping into our house', slowly here also, as I do a little bit of decorating each day.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was lovely. Reminds me of my childhood Xmases spent in dear old Tassie. I haven't had a Tassie Xmas for 6 years. It really made me think of my family so far away. Lovely. And tell your daughter that their is no point putting up a living tree in Aus until a week before xmas otherwise it is just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Georgia , thanks for visiting . Its always lovely to hear from another Tassie girl.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.