Slideshow Widget

Think I'll Go and Eat Some Worms.

28 Nov 2006



Thank you all so much for your lovely comments and compliments. I'll draw the winner on Thursday so you can still leave you name if you would like.
Isn't this picture lovely. My beautiful daughter is responsible.




I'll give you my recipe for red onion marmalade. It's so yummy, I made it to have with sausages last night. It goes deliciously with lots of things: cheese, egg and bacon pie, steak.




You need 2-3 red onions, 2tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Thinly slice the onions, saute with olive oil and sauce until the onions are soft, about 15 minutes. Add brown sugar and cook for another 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold. Store in the fridge.




Yes, it does look like a bowl of worms. Perhaps it's a good Halloween dish.


Christmas Notes





Well, the pudding is made. We stirred up on Sunday but as son #2 was away at a friend's house we couldn't make our wishes until late.




We added the sixpences and threepences, most of them are from the late 40's and 50's. Australia changed to decimal currency in 1966 and our modern silver coins are not silver so you can't use them in the pudding. Most of my coins came from a bag of coins I bought from the Post Pffice especially for my first and only pudding several years ago. Some belong to my famous pudding making aunt.


The pudding needed six hours boiling and I was not going to stay up till 3am so I cooked it yesterday. I must say the mixture tasted delicious but the pud looks disgusting at the moment.




I don't think it is wise to publish the recipe until we have eaten the pudding. If we survive, I'll share it with you.

( I have the recipe for homemade Worcestershire sauce made from plums if anyone is interested. It is rather yummy and uses up those slightly sour plums that no one will eat.)


14 Responses to “Think I'll Go and Eat Some Worms.”

  1. Wow - that onion marmalade looks yummy! I will make that! Ooohhh - I'll keep my fingers crossed for the drawing...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making the red onion marmalade tomorrow. Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, homemade Worcestershire sauce sounds great! Although I don't grow my own plums so I'll never have a (sour)glut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feeling very foreign at the moment. Is the pudding like cake or bread? It looks nothing like what we call pudding here in the US. What do the coins signify? I'm intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade Worcestershire sauce sounds good to me. I'm intending on passing the onion marmalade recipe to Stuart who seems to like making preserves, pickling onions etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son and I love onions, I think I can use that recipe.

    I'm very much enjoying all that I'm reading about the puddings on your site and Plain & Simple's blog. Puddings are so foreign to my experience, it is fascinating to learn more. I appreciate they photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Worcestershire sauce sounds wonderful - if you ever get the chance I'd love a sneek peak at the recipe. The marmalade looks heavenly!

    As for the pudding I'm sure it'll be delicious - although they don't ever look that appetising until you're just about to eat it and flambé it with brandy (I lost a considerable portion of eyebrow last year!). My mother has any silver coinage that we've got, so I tend to wish and wrap the money in greasproof paper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love onion marmalade too. It is a great thing to have on hand. I am off to make some. Thank you for the idea !!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your onion marmalade looks delicous, so sad that I don´t have red ones here at the moment, we will have meat this evening and I think, this would be a great addition. And homemade Worcester sauce really sounds great, we don´t use it here in Germany, although I have a bottle. I bought it and don´t really know where and when to use it, I put it sometimes in salads and I hope this is okay. I love to get recipes and ingredients from other countries, I think it´s a step beside the normal cooking routine.
    I am so sorry to have missed your last post, but I think I could say it also here, how much I enjoy your blog and how happy I am to have found it. I am so much looking forward your next hundred ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby would love the onion marmalade! I am copying it off and will be making it soon--Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very fortunate to have a sister-in-law who makes the Christmas pudding every year for all of us... She inherited her recipe from her grand-mother and is now the "keeper" of the secret formula...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jenny, I've been reading your blog for a little while now and really enjoy it. I've been using your toasted muesli recipe since I first read it on your site and my family love it so I'm looking forward to trying the red onion marmalade. I would really appreciate the worcestershire sauce recipe too if possible. Thanks for sharing all these delights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dannielle, if you go to Plain and Simple's blog she will tell you all about Christmas pudding. It is more like a cake, seved hot with brandy cream,sauce or custard. i don't really know the significance of the money, I just blindly follow tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Francoise, I would gladly be the keeper of the secret formula but my aunt is not ready to give it up so I'm flying blind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.