Slideshow Widget

Stroll Down Memory Lane

21 Nov 2006





On Sunday my daughter went to visit her Gran, my mum. While she was there they went for a walk in the bush, a place where my sister and I and some of our friends spent many, many happy hours as children.
Spring was always a special time because we went searching for wild flowers. Tasmanian wildflowers are generally quite small and relatively insignificant looking flowers. We live in a temperate zone so we don't have the flashy flowers of the tropics.
My favourites, and the most difficult to find unless you knew the bush well, were the native violets. My mum and daughter didn't find any because it's a bit late in the season but I do have a small patch growing in my garden.
I have never really noticed before how well the colours all go together, those lovely mauves and yellows and the wonderful grasses. My favourite grass was Shivery Grass. I have no idea of its correct name but it was lovely, I think we even chewed on it at times. We tried out most of the grasses to see which ones were the sweetest. There were certain flowers we pulled off their stems to suck the nectar from and at the end of summer we ate what we called cranberries and native cherries.

When you walk past this piece of bush in the middle of suburbia it just looks like any other patch of scrubby bush and it is . Tasmanian bush doesn't reveal its secrets easily, you have to spend time in it and quietly get to know it. There are many subtleties, much beauty and a whole world to get to know. That piece of bush was public land but it was our private patch.

Here is the first installment of the Christmas tree skirt. The original pattern is in four parts but I made a few changes and mine will be three parts. The original pattern also had an intarsia pattern but I chose not to do that because I just wanted to use the wool I bought in the bag at the Salvos shop.





7 Responses to “Stroll Down Memory Lane”

  1. The flowers are so delicate, and I can see why you do like the violets :-)

    It is a paradigm-buster for me to imagine Christmas in the Springtime! The skirt is looking lovely. Will it grace a live tree, or have you found a favorite artificial one?

    This year I will have two more people than usual in my home for Christmas. Considering that, (in addition to the tolddler I babysit being quite a climber) we are having a small artificial tree this year that I can put up on an end table. I hope to find some spruce or pine garland to help supply the Christmas scent I so enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could knit as quickly as you Jenny.
    I love the native violets too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful flowers, the bush sounds like a very special place for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. The colours of the flowers go wonderfully together. The wonderful lilac with that dark green. Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really must be wonderful to experience and Australian Christmas. It got dark at around 3.45 yeaterday and the frost had killed nearly everything in my little garden...but to be honest I rather like the drawing in of the nights.

    PS. I'd be tempted to wear the Christmas tree skirt myself...but my dress sense has been described as "stupid hippy" on more than one occasion!lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Shivery Grass too - we used to eat it, along with a few other grasses, seeds and flowers. I shocked my grandchildren recently by telling them that we used to eat the sap from the wattle trees. Remember how it would run down the bark and solidify? Bet you did that too, Jenny.

    We sucked honey from the Grevillea flowers, ate the seeds of Onion Weed (called them Plum Puddings), chewed the stems of the slightly sour Oxalis, and munched several other grasses and leaves.

    I guess it's one thing to eat these by choice but quite another matter if that's all there is to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tree skirt is looking lovely and coming along quickly! I am enjoying reading about your Christmas in Springtime. Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.