Slideshow Widget

Little Jenny Wren

16 Nov 2006



I am a dollmaker. I'm also a wife and mother, cook, gardener, seamstress, knitter.....








I was clever at school and although I loved history and handcrafts I felt I should do a job that would "help" people. So I didn't study history at uni and became a physiotherapist.









It was a good job: good pay, good conditions, challenging work, interesting people, but I never really felt it was me, I never really felt fully committed.





Since becoming a mother I have worked on and off and always part-time. Two years ago I walked away from my job and I have no intention of going back. So, now I'm a wife, mother, homemaker and dollmaker.





I spent today making heads. It still amazes me that such simple materials as a piece of stockinette, some string, a few handfuls of creamy, soft wool fleece and some cotton knit can be made into such sweet and gentle dolls that seem to inspire tender feelings in almost everyone who gives one a cuddle.





It is a gentle, peaceful, creative past-time and it suits me fine.



This strange little fellow is a doll I made when I was about 11. Mum found him amongst my treasures.

16 Responses to “Little Jenny Wren”

  1. My oldest son is currently making his 7th grade doll..he is making a native American Indian chief ( we are part Cherokee on my husband's side). Right now though, it looks just like one of your heads... dark skin, not attached to a body yet....I see beading and feathered headdress in our future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dolls Jenny. Especially your childhood effort - how lovely that you still have him (her?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wife, mother, cook, gardener, seamstress, knitter but not a doll maker. I so admire you !! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mamalamb, I'm sure the doll will be magnificent when he finishes it.

    Rose Red, I think it is a boy. I'm sure I would have given a girl doll long hair because that's what I wanted.

    Clarice, you missed out that you also homeschool your children. I do so admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the proud recipient of one of your dolls (she's in my car until F's birthday lol!) and I am completely in love with her. I also love your early effort!

    You're a great example of a more gentle way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really admire people who assess their lives and discard the parts that don't fulfil them - you must have wonderful support to be able to make such a creative chioce. I'm really pleased for you - and those dolls really do bring out a gentle side of peopple. keep going jenny wren!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow these are gorgeous, I especially love the hair on the first doll. I have long wanted to make cloth dolls myself and have gathered quite a few books on the subject but have yet to start.You are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love your dolls and your childhood one proves you had the "vocation" then... I have been trying to encourage my children to go for what they really want to do later in life, rather than chosing a money orientated career. There are so many people in the world stuck with a job they don't like living with regrets for what might have been, had they have the courage to follow the right path (the one that starts from the heart...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your childhood doll, it has such a 'modern' style, I think only childs could do so. And I especially adore your black doll, the shape and style is so nice.
    I think if someone could afford to do the things which she/he loves most in the world - what an enriched life this would be. You are a real lucky woman to have this life. And I also believe that if you are doing things you love deep from your heart all is possible for you, you have enough enthusiasm to manage everything then.
    Have a great weekend, thank you so much for telling us a bit of your private story,
    greetings,
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are realy a lucky woman...
    I admire you. Thank you for telling me your private story

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so sweet, and the love and care you put into them is most evident.

    How did the class you were teaching end up?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your dolls, (as always), and thank you for sharing your first effort! How wonderful that you still have it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your dolls and it's so sweet that your mom saved your first one! I studied psychology in college and then was in advertising, but now I realize it was so not me to be in the corporate world. I love being a stay at home mom, wife and pincushion maker!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those dolls head are so sweet and I'm noticing that you have much darker stockinette than we have over here. I also love the cardigan - it's a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate your willingness to chose a homemaking career over an corporate career! Thank you for expressing the joys of a career that does not get the respect that it deserves! I, too, made this choice and have no regrets. I love being a wife, mother, and homemaker. I express myself through music, fine art, sewing, and needle arts, but not doll making! Your dolls are wonderful as well as your knitting! Thank you for such an uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dolls are so sweet. I have made quite a few dolls in my time as well and know the feeling you get when making them. It's like you created a life almost after finishing one. It's great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.