Lilla Hyttnas

2 Nov 2006

This is the picture that hangs in my hallway. I love the simplicity of the line of terracotta pots, all different sizes and not in any particular order. I can feel the peace of the simple task of watering the plants, the young girl lost in the repetitive action and water falling. I wonder if it is her knitting on the table or her mother's. If it is her mother's, did she get called away to attend to one of the other children and what were they talking about before she left. Are other family members about to come bursting in and shatter her peace. The girl is Suzanne, the artist's eldest daughter.





" Flowers on the Windowsill" is by Carl Larsson, a Swedish artist from the turn of the 20th century. I discovered his art several years ago when I found a large and beautiful book on his life and art at the local library. Most of his more popular pieces were those depicting his family life at his home " Lilla Hyttnas" at Sundborn in the Swedish countryside where he lived with his wife Karin and their 8 children: Suzanne,Ulf, Pontus, Lisbeth, Brita, Mats, Kersti and Esborn.










The pictures of his home were published in 1899 in a book called Ett Hem ( A Home). The pictures I have seen of the book's illustrations show wonderful scenes of a happy, energetic, loving family. With its use of red and green accents along with cream walls in the house, lots of timber furniture and beautiful embellished soft furnishings the house appears quite modern and very appealing, very family friendly.








Karin made and designed all of the exclusive textiles in the house as well as designing some of the furniture. She designed many of her own and the children's clothes also so that they fitted their lifestyle rather than having clothes that they had to fit in with. I saw fine examples of her tapestries which are quite abstact and modern.She made these things to beautify her home for her family not for profit or praise.

Before she married Karin was an artist. With the birth of her children she put her artistic talents into her home and family and produced with her husband a home that has stood as an example of good family living for more than a century. It still exists today.


10 Responses to “Lilla Hyttnas”

  1. I look at that uncluttered house and I am reminded I need to get to work! I do enjoy art history and this artist was previously unknown to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! Those pictures are all so sweet!

    You know what struck me about the first picture, with the plants lined up? I'm wondering why there is a raised bit of floor under the window. I wonder if the parents sat at the table while the children used that platform as a stage on which to act out their imaginary stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a calendar for 2006 of his work this picture was in it. It reminds me of my Dad's family and the parsonage my grandparent's lived in when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mother has the same picture as you. I love Carla Larson. His pictures make me feel at home and relaxed. I can stare at his pictures for a long time. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never see this artist before but I'm very drawn towards the illustrations. They remind me a bit of Elsa Beskow. Her work is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures are so lovely - I look at that sweet, welcoming home and want to move right in! Such pretty colors and sweet images - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed you were a Larsson fan a little while ago and I meant to say something. I first found the illustrations in the Guardian newspaper way before I got married (around 11 or 12 years ago perhaps) I think there was an exhibition of their work on in London at the time...well I fell in love with them, so peaceful and wonderful, how I wanted my home to be. The designs are so very timeless as they come from the heart, the heart of a woman who loves her home and family. Just wonderful Jenny, thank you for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carl Larsson is also my favourite artist whom I discovered by chance whilst still living in Paris many years ago. Flowers on the windowsill is also in my hallway which I plan to redecorate adding more of his prints on the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm 47, have a nine year old daughter and thoroughly enjoyed your words and the "Suzanne" - how fun, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.