Slideshow Widget

Fruit for the family

8 Nov 2006





There has been much knitting, sewing and dollmaking going on in this house. So much so that I can feel my shoulders getting tighter and my eyes are starting to cross.



So, instead of a quick dash to put the washing on the line I decided to check out the fruit trees to see what we will be eating in a couple of months.








On the way to the clothesline I came upon this daisy chain that my daughter was working on yesterday.






I didn't know that she had decorated the arch . The flowers have been there over night so are rather wilted but I'm sure they were beautiful when she did it.




The garden smells glorious at the moment with the wisteria and jasmine in full flower. The jasmine is just outside the pantry window so the scent comes into the kitchen.



The vegie garden is a mixture of wildly growing herbs, new seedlings and areas yet to be cultivated. Although it may not look like it ,the garden is very dry. It is weeks since we have had a good rain and what we had just ran away hardly wetting the soil because we had such a dry winter.





Australia is in the grips of a drought and although Tasmania tends to stay greener than the mainland we are feeling the effects of the dry weather as well. Our grassed areas are starting to brown off already and that doesn't normally happen until late January. We don't have water restrictions yet but they can't be far off.




Our weather has been very strange even for spring. The week after I planted my seedlings we had two days of strong, hot dry winds and then two days of overnight frosts. I lost about 1/3 of what I had put in. I think the wind was the biggest killer.






We do seem to have a lot of fruit this year. I love homegrown fruit, especially stone fruit. The supermarket varieties are mostly hard and flavourless and many things we grow you can't buy anyway.





We have youngberries, raspberries, strawberries and gooseberries.




We have pears and apples.




We have apricots, white peaches,golden drop plums,nectarines, greengage plums,cherries, cherry plums, native plums and medlars.


We have grapes and figs.


We have a lot to eat in the summer.
Is there anythingto eat mum?
Let's go outside and find something.







5 Responses to “Fruit for the family”

  1. Ahhh so lovely to see all that green, instead of all the rain at my house. Keep up the crafting !!! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love all of the exotics you grow! So very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought a home with several ancient oak trees in the yard. If we ever need to have one or more taken down I'd like to get some fruit trees. Too bad about the frost biting your seedlings. I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks lovely despite the dryness. All the paddocks around here are dry and many are bare as well. It's alarming when you think that we are still only in the third month of Spring - Summer hasn't even started yet.

    Your fruit trees are doing what they do in hard times - producing abundant crops in the hope of survival. Of course, they can't keep doing that year after year, but hopefully the rains will come before too long.

    We also have masses of cherries, plums and apricots this year, whereas last year we had a good Spring but little fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing Alice about the amount of fruit on the trees. These extremes of weather are scary. We can control a lot of things but we can't control the weather. At least the politicians are starting to realise that this issue is important to the people. I'm not sure what they are going to do but at least they are more aware.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.