Dusty Space Invaders or Waffling On

19 Nov 2006





How do you like this ? This is my waffle iron circa 1969. I had no idea how dusty it was until I looked at this picture. I have a high dust threshold, it comes with living in an old house and from having to do a lot of dusting as a child.
Anyway back to the waffle iron. It's a beauty isn't it? It belonged to my mum and she thought I would use it more than she did and I do. We don't have waffles often but when the hens are being generous in the spring it a good way to use up the eggs.



Yummy, yummy. Here is my recipe. It makes about 450 waffles (not really, but a lot).
2 tablespoons sugar
3 cups SR flour
pinch salt
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup or 125g melted butter
Mix it all together as you would pancakes adding the butter last. Let it stand for at least one hour and then cook your waffles on your vintage waffle iron.



Christmas Notes



My Christmas preparations went completely off on a tangent this weekend. I was sniffing arond the Salvos shop on Friday and came upon a bag of wool knocked down to half price ( $ 3 ) in all these wonderful Christmas colours.








So, just in case I should ever run out of Christmas colours I bought it. Then yesterday I was browsing through Handknit Holidays by Melanie Falick and my attention was caught by the Chrstmas Tree Skirt. I don't have the beautiful wool that is used in the book and I'm pretty sure that some of my yarn is an acrylic wool mix but if I can knit a tree skirt for $3 I think that is a good deal. I wouldn't use a synthetic yarn if anyone was going to wear it or cuddle it but I don't think the tree will care. I'm not even doing the same design as the book just using the general instructions. It is knitted on 5mm needles so I am zooming along.



On a more depressing note, my aunt who usually makes the Christmas pudding has decided not to make one this year as she is travelling interstate for Christmas. How selfish, she has only been making it every year for the past 50 years. So the baton has been passed to me.




7 Responses to “Dusty Space Invaders or Waffling On”

  1. What a deal for that yarn--I would not be able to pass that up either.

    I have seen the tree skirt in that book! You must be a fast knitter :-) I'm sure it will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yarns were a wonderful buy ~ great colors. I can't wait to see the tree skirt. Isn't it fun to create something beautiful while being thrifty at the same time!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great deal on the yarn and what a good idea to use it for.
    I am sure you will make a fantastic Christmas pud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Stir Up Sunday is coming soon! I love the tree skirt. I looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't think the Christmas tree will mind. Good luck with the puddings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the second person to mention a waffle iron, which over here aren't mentioned that often. But they look so yummy and sort of alien at the same time (I noted that your big silver iron looked like a space-ship!) that I'm dying to give it a go! And now I've got no reason not to, as you posted the recipe.

    As for the wool, what a bargain! I can't wait to see what you come up with - I'm sure it'll be fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. how is that knitted skirt going? please post more pics of it! all the best with that pudding :-) louise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.