Bits and Bobs and Odds and Sods.

1 Nov 2006







I know it's a bit late but I was too tired to write last night. In fact I fell asleep in my chair at about 9.30 just like an old lady. Never mind , a little extra beauty sleep never did anyone any harm. Halloween is not really celebrated in Australia but this is a cute picture.




BITS


I collected a few little bits on my stroll through the Salvos shop last week: some more cotton yarn for knitting dishclothes or maybe facewashers as pink is not really a kitchen colour, a lovely old linen teatowel that might find itself chopped up to back a potholder like Deb's beauty, and a dear little tea cosy that fits my smallest teapot. I do have quite a few new embroidered doileys as well from a previous scrounge. Last time I went someone had been through them before me and there was nothing left. I can't bear to cut them up and use them in something else, I just use them around the house.







BOBS

Well focaccia actually. I make these or varietions on the theme for school lunches especially when I can't be bothered walking to the shop for fresh rolls. I make the dough in the breadmaker over night and then bake them the next morning. Sometimes I turn them into cheese and bacon rolls by spreading them with a litle bottled pasta sauce and then topping them with some bacon and grated cheese before cooking them.







Here is the recipe:


250ml water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
450g/3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons yeast.



I just pop it all in the bread maker and the next morning I shape the rolls and bake on 200C for about 25mins. I have also made the dough by hand and left it to prove overnight in the fridge.



ODDS



Pumpkin soup, a family favourite , was on the menu last night. I made it in the morning as I had to go out until dinner time.





Was it Monet who said " there can be no blue without orange" or did I just make that up. I think" blue looks fabulous with pumpkin" should also go down in history as an excellent combination. Oh and the smell of a very sweet pumpkin slowly melting in a pool of hot butter. Divine.






I was clever enough to save some stock from the previous nights roast chicken and after the pumpkin had sweated in the butter for about 20mins I poured the chicken stock over and put the lid on. I let it simmer for about 30 mins and then let it cool.






Later it was mashed and forced through a strainer before being mixed with about 2 cups of milk and seasoned with salt and pepper.

We served it with hot rolls and sour cream.





SODS


It seems the beautiful Maggie may have got herself in the family way when she disappeared a few weeks ago. They will be the most beautiful kittens but it was very irresponsible of us to let it happen.



My daughter will be overjoyed!




CHRISTMAS NOTES






How do you think she looks? I am slowly working my way through the rest of these little ones and then I will start on the gnomes. I've got 8 weeks right. No worries.


Oh and here is the recipe for the GINGERNUTS:

90g (3oz) butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 1/3 cups plain (all purpose) flour
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves.

Melt butter,sugar and golden syrup together in a pan, stirring. Remove from heat and stir in sifted dry ingredients. Leave to stand until the mixture feels warm to the touch.

Roll into walnut sized balls and plce on greased oven tray about 3cm apart. Flatten slightly. Bake in a moderate oven for about 12 mins or until browned.

(Based on a recipe in the Australian Womens Weekly Cookbook Sweet Old-fashioned Favourites )

13 Responses to “Bits and Bobs and Odds and Sods.”

  1. Oh..it is always a great pleasure too read your blog.
    Thank you so much for the recipe. I will try them...And your doll is so lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doll is very sweet. And I have to chime in - soup sounds wonderful. I do something very similar with zuchinni in the summer (there is a bit more too it - it has onion and garlic) but it is delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visitting my blog, so I come to you. Oh...and what I see...so many beautiful knitwork and other things of your life.
    Your blog is amazing!!

    :) Maartje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those foccacia look sooo very good...I love fresh bread, lucky mini-Jennies! Great find BTW!

    PS. I have the old fashioned orange La Creuset, where can I find a blue pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kittens; how marvellous. Hope you can find them all lovely homes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. alswife says
    Your sweet little cat reminds me of our love Frankie who went to kitty heaven in March. Their faces and coloring are almost identical but your Maggie is fluffier. I showed her picture to Al and he was all excited to think we might be able to offer one of your kittens a home. Then I told him that you are in Tasmania, and we are way off in New England!! Oh well! I am keeping Maggie's picture though. Both of them are and were unusually pretty cats.
    As I've said before, I love visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny, I am enjoying catching up on all your wonderful posts. Thank you for the recipes, which sound very good. I love the treasures you found~great colors, and the doll is really cute!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've picked up similar tea towels from the op shop. Love that Irish linen! I want to try those gingernuts. My kids and I are mad for anything ginger too.
    And I have to say I adore the Steiner doll. One day I'll make my own...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been a busy girl. Soup looks wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please excuse my ignorance - I am new at breadmaking and just purchased a 2nd hand one. Are you required to knead the dough before forming into rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  11. P&S, there is such a thing as a Queensland Blue pumpkin but it is only blue on the outside.

    Karen, You don't need to knead the dough before shaping just knock it down and then shape. I usually let them rise again for a while and then bake them but time was running short when i made these ones so I put them straight in the oven and they were OK. I made the dough on the pizza dough setting. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.