Slideshow Widget

In a perfect world or maybe I can sell a child

11 Oct 2006



"THE SEWING ROOM. The home dressmaker should endeavour to keep a place in which she can sew in peace and have all the necessary equipment around her. The ideal is to have a small room set aside for sewing, then the iron and ironing board, the machine on its own table, a table to work at, the tailor's dummy, and the long mirror can all be left in their places ready for use at any time. The lights can be suitably arranged; there can be a chest of drawers for storing the patterns, materials and sewing prerequisites; and a cupboard for garments. These days a spare room is not always possible, but it is a good plan to keep a corner of a room as a place for sewing, where the work can be left undisturbed when there is a meal to prepare or a guest arrives." Complete Dressmaking in Pictures by Constance Howard 1948


I believe the picture is from "The Mary Frances Sewing Book"


All I can say is " Sigh.... " (and then I would add ,"doesn't 'sigh' look like a silly word when you really look at it")

7 Responses to “In a perfect world or maybe I can sell a child”

  1. I don't know what "Complete Dressmaking in Pictures" is but that picture is from "The Mary Frances Sewing Book", which I absolutely adore! It's so quaint. And these days quaint things are hard to come by. :)

    I love that book so much I've almost convinced myself that it's very sensible for me to buy a brass sewing bird like the one in that picture.

    I'm teaching my daughter hand sewing with that book. It really is the sweetest thing. I intend to someday have all the Mary Frances books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like bliss! You can't sell a child, but you could make 'em share a room!

    Phonetically "sigh" sounds like Elvis say "cigar". Sig huh..well' thank you very much ma'am, huhuh,huhuh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boys already share a room and my daughter has the room that used to be my sewing room when it wasn't a nursery. Our house is tiny and a lot of imagination and constant clutter busting is necessary to make the best use of the space we have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh goodness! Now I see where you wrote that it's from the Mary Frances Sewing Book. I missed that line earlier. (which would be why my previous comment appears to have been written by an idiot) ;-)

    I keep coming back to peek at your sweet pictures. Both the sewing picture and the duck with the gnomes in walnut boats. They just make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Dannielle, I added the Mary Frances reference after your comment. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the duck trailing the gnomes in the post below.

    I found it was very easy to have a sewing room after growing up six of my children, and shipping them out of the house!

    Of course, I have to share the room with several bookcases, the luggage, off-season clothes.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have the Mary Frances Sewing book infact Amber learned to sew with it. SHe also has the knitting and the cooking one too. Lovely books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.