Slideshow Widget

Housekeeping.

8 Sep 2006

Lots of housework today in preparation for the school holidays. What does the well dressed housewife wear to keep her designer originals spic and span while cleaning her house? The first little outfit is an apron I made to test out the pattern I used to make my Christmas gift aprons last year. Clarice, you might recognise the fabric.






Next is a nifty apron from Stateside courtesy of Deb at Homespun Living. It is my wonderful peg apron which has proved so useful, however the boys refuse to use it when they have to hang out the washing. I don't know why.







The next apron is a thrift shop find and has the ingenious feature of being reversible. Perfect for the mucky housewife who gets her apron dirty but can't be bothered changing it - just reverse it!





























Now we come to the hessian gardening apron just incase you thought from the state of my garden I never go outdoors. This was given to me by my mum. She does volunteer gardening at a local National Trust house and this was made by one of the other ladies for their annual fair. It has lots of marvellous wool embroidery on it and I have never actually used it because I tend to just wear grotty clothes for gardening and so I don't need an apron.











During this fashion shoot the local wildlife came to see what was going on. Mags is never one to miss out on a photo opportunity.




















The apron that I actually wear most of the time is this one. It is made by the Ulster Weavers, in Ireland I presume, and it is a wonderful pinnie. The straps are nice and long so they are easy to tie, even though there is a neckstrap it doesn't pull on my neck , the pockets are big and at just the right height that they don't catch on drawer knobs and it has some interesting writing on it. If anyone recognises it as something famous let me know.













For tea tonight we are having Leftover Leg of Lamb Soup. Sounds exotic doesn't it. It is actually more exciting than it sounds although due to my dislike of typing out recipes you will just have to imagine it. It is one of those recipes that you start in the morning and it peacefully does its own thing until an hour or two before you want to eat it. It is basically a very tasty lamb stock made from the last part of the lamb roast that no one will eat and any vegies you have on hand plus some chilli, saffron, fish sauce and barley. The vegetables are discarded before you add the barley and the meat is stripped from the bone at the same time and returned to the soup. I'll serve it with some hot rolls with lashings of butter. You can find the recipe in this slightly controversial cookbook.



I am also making some cinnamon rolls for afternoon tea. The dough is proving at the moment. This is part of my never ending quest for the perfect cinnamon scroll. I have tried many recipes but none have come close to the one I ate once as a student about 25 years ago. I found the latest recipe in Living the Good Life, a book I am really enjoying reading. It is about an Australian family who tried to live within mainstream society for six months without spending money apart from land taxes and that kind of thing.







By the way my daughter has given me permission to reproduce Little Red Riding Hood for my Etsy shop . If anyone is interested just give me a week or so to make them and perhaps some other characters as well.

7 Responses to “Housekeeping.”

  1. Aah, I'm in apron heaven! I love the hessian one - very lady dowager.I also like the sound of your book. Do you get the River Cottage programmes over there? If not I think you will really like the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cookbook you mentioned, Nourishing Traditions, looks awesome. And so does your little red riding hood in the last post, so adorable. Reminds me of some of the dolls I used to see in Germany.

    I used some images of yours, from http://littlejennywren.blogspot.com/2006/07/winter-kitchen.html, in a post on my Table Tales blog. They were just so irresistable, I hope you don't mind : )

    I've been enjoying your very sweet blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your apron collection :) The pinny from Ireland is my favourite...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, you have such good taste in fabric (wink). Ahhh such lovely pinnies. I have been wanting to read living the good lilf. I am glad to hear your like it. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like aprons too and my favourite is a replica Victorian housekeeper's apron that I've had for many years and worn and worn and it still looks great. I looked at the Nourishing Traditions book on Amazon and like the sound of it. My mum always advocated a 'sensible mixed diet with everything in moderation'. She loved butter and the crispy rind off the roast pork and lived to 88 in perfect physical health - no heart problems, no arthritis, no anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your apron collection! The book you show, Living The Good Life, doesn't seem to be available here in Canada ;o( I couldn't find it after a quick search anyway.

    I'm enjoying your blog!

    Jackie in ON

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I just wanted to say I really admire your blog.

    Its made me question whether my apron is adequate.

    Nick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.