Slideshow Widget

Fairy Tales

6 Sep 2006











I have been a busy girl this week. As well as finishing off a couple of dolls I have finally managed to make something that I have been planning for a long time.

I had this idea of making some miniature fairy tale characters using wire and wool and knitting the body and clothes. A long time ago a wonderful woman who used to lead my craft class made some of these little dolls and a castle for my son, for his 6th birthday. She was generous enough to show me how to make them but my previous attempts have been amateurish to say the least. This time I think I got it right,even though it took me twice as long as I think it should have.




Here is Little Red Riding Hood or Little Red Cap which ever you prefer. She is going for a walk through the forest to grandma's house. It is perfectly safe at the moment unless one of the cats discovers her because I haven't made the wolf yet.






Although fairy tales were a strong part of my childhood I don't feel that is so for my children. I have read and told them the stories and they seem to know them and I suppose they will tell their children but imagine what the world was like when the Grimm brothers first collected and recorded the stories. I love thinking about the dark forests of Europe where these stories began. Where a walk through the cool dark forest revealed all sorts of wonders to the fertile imagination.

We have a small forest here that is full of European and English trees and in the winter there are robin red breasts flitting around and fairy rings of toadstools and a stillness and quiet that can only mean fairies and pixies are watching. It is a magical place. Not that the Australian bush doesn't hold the same magic. I had many adventures in the bush as a child where I was sure that tha little moss pads were fairy carpet and the tiny pebble catcher flowers were used by the pixies to tidy their houses.






Oh dear I am regressing. Perhaps it was not such a good idea to finally make Little Red Cap, who knows what will be next.

11 Responses to “Fairy Tales”

  1. Little Red Riding Hood is lovely, I look forward to seeing Mr Wolf - perhaps he could be a kind wolf? Real wolves are one of my favourite animals, I think they are beautiful, intelligent creatures and have had a great deal of bad press!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she's lovely too!I remember studying fairy tales at university...interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wonderful thing about going on blogger holiday is, coming back and seeing all the divine things that everyone has been making :)

    I don't think I have made a single thing in 2 months! But I'm all refreshed and happy to be back :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well along with your knitting skills I think this post is darling! and the little red riding hood is beautifully made.

    Now I will be back for sure to see more lovely pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not tell you how much I love her (Now I have to figure out how to do it.)You are so cleaver. She is charming. I know Chloe will love her. I can not wait to show her the doll. She is wonderful. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ~*LOVE*~ her!!! We don't have any cats so maybe she should live here where she'll be safe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's beautiful! How lovely that you have a woods--hope you don't have to worry about wolves!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your descriptions are as magical as you paint the forest. I loved reading about the fairy rings, especially as this is such a strong part of what we share with the children. When I was five, my grandmother and I would talk about the midnight tea parties with the fairies. It is the fondest memory I have of her. Your little Red Riding Hood is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the wonderful compliments. Where would we be without fairy tales and wonderful, wild imaginations. Don't worry, there are no wolves in Tasmania, not even dingos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's beautiful! So she has a wire form inside?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, Little Jenny Wren... that little doll is simply darling! You are selling her, right? You did a fabulous knitting job - I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.