Back to School

27 Sep 2006

Yesterday was the first day of Term 3. The holidays are over and the busiest term of the school year has begun. Traditionally in this household the children cook tea on the last night of the holidays but this time it didn't happen. Son #1 is still incapacitated because of his hand injury, son#2 was away at a friend's house and my daughter is too little to do it on her own. So instead I made a special chocolate cake for dessert which we had with ice-cream and chocolate sauce. The cake was just one of those "throw everything in together and beat like crazy for 3 minutes cakes" but when cooked in a Bundt tin and served still warm from the oven it was delicious. There was enough left to put in school lunches which was my cunning plan.




I know I have said it before but school lunches are the bane of my existence. I try to focus on how happy I feel when the lunch boxes are full each morning rather than what I have to do to fill them. I know, I have a pretty good life if my worst job is making school lunches so I really shouldn't complain.

Yesterday after everyone had left I also made some emergency shortbread. This is different from my Christmas shortbread which I only make at Christmas time. It's another "melt the butter , add everything else and beat like crazy for 3 minutes" recipe and comes from one of the never ending Australian Women's Weekly collection of recipe books. If you want either of these recipes just ask. I have an aversion to typing out recipes in my blog. I'm not sure why, laziness I suspect.





As I said this is a very busy time at school and ofcourse Christmas and the summer holidays finishes it off. It is the season for Athletics carnivals, school as well as interschool so some travelling is involved. The BURNIE 10, a big road race that son#1 and my husband compete in is on in about 3 weeks as well. The school fair is in two weeks plus my eldest son who is in Year 11 has big exams in November. His hand injury is making study a bit tricky at the moment. My daughter goes on her first school camp sometime soon plus she has Asian week and music concerts. The summer sport season begins soon so that means cricket games for the boys. I'm sure there are lots of other things but my mind has blanked them out. It's no wonder the children fall in a heap at the end of the year and my children don't even do much in the way of extra activities. Christmas has to be organised and planned for as well, that's my job. I won't complain about that because I love planning and making things for Christmas. More on that subject later. TIME TO GO MAKE THE LUNCHES.


Decided to add the recipes as I have a bit of free time.

NO FAIL CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 cup SR flour (all purpose flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder)
1 cup caster sugar ( fine sugar), or you can use whatever sugar you have
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk ( or 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup marsala)
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
125g butter, melted (1 stick butter)
salted or unsalted

Whip all ingredients together for 3 minutes until well combined.
Bake at 180C/350F for 50 minutes.

I bake it in any shape baking pan suits my needs - deep square, deep round, bundt, loaf. I've even baked it in muffin tins to use as cupcakes.

MELT AND MIX SHORTBREAD

250g (2 sticks) butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/3 cup icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
1/3 cup cornflour (cornstarch)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/3 cups plain (all purpose) flour

Sift icing sugar and cornflour into a bowl, add sugar, butter and vanilla. Beat until well combined. Add sifted flour and mix well.
Press into a lamington tin (7"x11"). Mark into fingers with a sharp knife.
Bake in a moderate oven 180C/350F for 30 minutes or until light golden. Cut into fingers while still warm. Cool in tin.

ENJOY !

9 Responses to “Back to School”

  1. I definitely want those recipies. Maybe I can suprise my wife this Christmas and do a little baking.
    garyw62@earthlink.net
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like your shortbread recipe. Can't wait for a post about Christmas planning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, pUHLEEEEZE may I come to your house for tea!??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That short bread looks delicious (as does the cake...but you know how I feel about cake!lol!)I love, love, love Christmas planning, so like Heather, I'm looking forward to that post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like your shortbread recipe.So I can surprise my husband and my girls...
    Thank you
    Your cake looks so delicious...may I come to your house of tea???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely trying those recipes! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting the recipes... I was really wanting to try the shortbread.. will have to let my middle son help me with it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny, I can relate about the school lunches and the busy school term too! Although here in Qld, the kids are on hols for another week yet then into term 4. We have had sports days and whatnot already - term 3 is the big one here. Gabbie (grade 10) had exams for the last 2 weeks, and then gets more at the end of the year as well!

    Good luck with all the busy-ness coming up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what wonderful recipies. Thanks for "writing" themn down it was nice of you to do so. I don't like typing recipies either, something about if you don't write it down correctly it can be a disaster. like say 450 instead of 350, easy typo. Disaster in the cooking. Not that I have EVER done that:)
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.