Happy Day

15 Aug 2006

Just a quick note to say I have finally put a couple more things in my shop, some examples of my dolls. If anyone is interested that is, I feel a bit uncomfortable advertising like this but I know many of you have already had a look and there wasn't much to look at. I will be adding more things as the days go by. Thanks for your interest.

Yesterday was my birthday. I had a wonderful day of family, food and presents.

The tradition in our little family is that the birthday person must stay in bed, pretending to be asleep, until they are woken by the rest of the family, lead by a candle bearer, all singing Happy Birthday. As all our birthdays are in winter it is dark in the mornings so it's a lovely way to greet the day.

Luckily this choir comes bearing gifts so present opening is next followed by the breakfast of your choice: fresh fruit, croissants, juice and coffee. My husband also took over my morning duties so I didn't have to make school lunches - what a bonus.

After everyone had left I did a cursory house clean and prettied myself, then into town to meet my husband for coffee and change a skirt he had given me ( it was too big !). For lunch I was invited to my parent's home to share a meal with my mum, dad and auntie. That was very nice except I was too quick with the soup and burnt my tongue. My mother always manages to have her food 10 degrees above boiling point but still looking normal.

Then it was home in time for the children. My lovely mum had made some afternoon tea for them so the lady of the house could sit back and relax but not eat bonbons because of her incinerated tongue.

I did have to cook part of dinner but then my husband took over and I had the rest of the evening to indulge myself. We had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, chicken gravy and coleslaw (all homemade, not the Colonel's), i.e. pretend take away to placate the children. Next came the famous sponge cake filled and covered in strawberry cream - whipped cream mixed with strawbery jam - and covered with strawberries that had been macerated in a sugar syrup and Grand Marnier. YUM. There was a bottle of sparkling burgundy to wash it all down plus fizzy cordial for the children.



















We sat around the table until late and then watched one of my new Audrey Hepburn DVDs. Wasn't she a tiny waif, so thin but a marvellous face and ofcourse beautiful clothes.

Today I am going for lunch with some friends plus our mums as we seem to share quite a few August birthdays. It's my mum's birthday on Saturday and I'll see the rest of my family then.

So I have been Queen for a day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus I have enough new clothes to dress like a Princess - an old princess ofcourse. By the way it's Princess Anne's birthday today. I remember when my daughter first saw a photo of Princess Anne she was so disappointed. She thought all princesses were young fairytale figures not middle aged ordinary looking people. Welcome to the real world, sweetie.



13 Responses to “Happy Day”

  1. Happy birthday to you! My birthday is this month as well, but it is summer here--a little strange to hear you say your birthday is in winter!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful day and wonderful cake!
    --Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jenny,
    a happy, happy birthday wish full of love and yummy things. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Jenny - sounds like you had a wonderful day, as you deserve on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time I stopped in and it was your birthday! Sounds like you had just a wonderful day. I love your morning tradition.

    All the best to you and Happy Birthday. You have a lovely blog.

    Take care,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Brithday! Sounds like you had a near perfect brithday. your cake looks scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday for yesterday Jen!
    It all sounds and looks so delightful and I'm glad to hear you were treated so well by your loved and dear ones!
    Your birthday cake looks scrumptious and your dinner too.
    I hope you have a wonderful birthday week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, happy birthday! SOunds like a fantastic day! Yesterday was big for me too.. my oldest turned 13! I am now mom to a teen, LOL! We do most all of our birthday celebrating in the evening here. My son had a fine birthday. Now we are preparing for a 10 year old next Saturday. August is birthday and anniversary month for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated Birthday! It looks like you had an absolutely excellent time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Jenny! Loved reading your "take on your day"... so enlightening! Sounds like you got to have your cake and eat it too! Where do you find all your vintage images? I love the one of the family at the top! Blessings to you, my friend... April

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Jenny! Happy Birthday!

    I too got caught in the it's August...is she posting as in the past? Winter? Ahhh! Other side of the world she is!

    Heeelllloooooo to me! Ok!

    Beautiful birthday celebration...everyone is involved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Jenny Wren! The cake looks delicious. Have a great day. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I wanna peice of ur cake...nummy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny - we're your friends... you can show & tell ANYtime! Your etsy (to me) seems more of an extension of you - whether we buy or not - it's nice to see the things you MAKE! I enjoy it. Let us know when you add more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.