Slideshow Widget

Football Fever

12 Aug 2006


Last night was Footie Tipping Night. Just pretend the picture is of me with my children plus one extra who came to visit and my husband is sitting in the other chair. This happens every Friday night (the footie tipping that is not the extra child coming to visit). The football is AFL ie Aussie Rules. I don't really care who wins or loses as long as Collongwood loses and Carlton doesn't lose by too much( we are having a bad year).

My Dad was a footballer in his younger days and my sons play or have played for school. My husband is from NSW so the football he grew up with was Rugby League, a very ugly game to these southern eyes.

So, we have a footie tipping competition within our family of five plus my Mum and Dad. The prize each week is a chocolate frog and at the end of the season the overall winner gets whatever I can think of to get them. We should have a perpetual trophy but I have never organised it . Perhaps I could make a little quilt and embroider the new winners name on each year - that's not a bad idea.

The Aussie Rules men have wonderful physiques and the game is very entertaining. If you ever get the chance to see a game give it a go. Please don't think I'm a footie fanatic, I enjoy the occasional game but I come last inb the footie tipping almost every week. I do love the smell of a footie ground in the late autumn, the long shadows towards the end of the game and walking home through the beautiful Melbourne parks, maybe stopping somewhere for a coffee or a bowl of minestrone at the Cafe Paradiso in Lygon Street. Ah, those were the days.

7 Responses to “Football Fever”

  1. My DH has very definite views on Aussie Rules football...hmm don't think I'll go into too much detail for fear of big, tough Ausie men coming to get him bent on revenge. I just a coward!lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our professional and school football is about to start here. And baseball hasn't ended yet. I really don't need a calendar, as I can tell what time of year it is by what is blasting on the televisions here. ;)

    Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plain and Simple, I suppose your husband is a Rugby Union man. When has he seen AFL, on the TV or an exhibition match?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay - I definitely need some clarification. Footie Tipping? Aussie Football? Is that soccer? or Tackle Football? I read your blog trying to imagine a "down under" accent - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi LJW

    It used to be televised - my dad quite enjoyed it, but my DH, well like i said, very definite views!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad Collingwood didn't win either. Poor old Carlton. One of my son's friends Dad is a Carlton supporter and he has not had much to cheer about this year. I am from SA and support Adelaide. My husband watches and I usually have a peep or two. Re your other comment about being 47 heading towards 50. I am 52 and still have not decided what I want to be when I grow up. I get a shock when I pass a mirror because inside I am still very very young!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.