Knitting Update

3 Jul 2006


I'm so glad there are other Eloise Wilkins fans out there in blogland. It was wonderful to read your comments. If you want a lesson on how to be a 50s housewife and mum then "We help Mommy" is the best place to start. Forget all those vintage and retro homemaker sites,it's in the book . My mum was and still is an excellent housewife and mother, ever since I became a mother myself I have aspired to be like the mother of my childhood.
My children say their Gran is the kindest person they have ever met, I have a long w
ay to go. All my life my mother has rarely been without a piece of knitting on the go so I guess I'm getting that part right, although she is never foolish enough to attempt more than one project at a time.

My current knitting projects are:
~ my periwinkle blue cardigan - 2/3s finished

~ Prayer shawl - 1/4 done
~ fingerless gloves for my husband - 1/2 done, needed by Wednesday X FINISHED
~ slippers for my daughter - 1 done and 1 to go , needed two weeks ago
~ Pearl Buck Swing Jacket - just begun, I've done the yoke and 1/2 of a sleeve
~ underwear for two little dolls - must be finished today. X FINISHED

I think that is everything and I had promised myself I wouldn't start anything else but my husband has put in a request for a jumper(sweater) like one he saw on the
TV. The lovely Robson Green was wearing it in the last episode of Rocket Man which screened here on Saturday night. I have to find a pattern first so that should give me time to finish all the little things I'm doing. Men's jumpers are such a huge time commitment but I suppose he is worth it.






7 Responses to “Knitting Update”

  1. Wow - you have been so busy! I'm afraid I am a hopeless knitter - I have a scarf that needs finishing that I started at the beginning of last winter! LOL That's about the exrent of my sklills I'm afraid :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got out all the Eloise books I had in my collection, and read them to my six year old yesterday. I also like Sharom Kane whose illustrations were similar. My favorite Golden Book of all time was by her: Little Mommy. Much along the lines of We Help Mommy, only the main character is taking care of her three baby dolls. I lived that book as a child, wore those same clothes, and I think it shaped my mommy thinking more than I want to admit, LOL.

    Here is a link:
    http://loganberrybooks.com/most-kane.html

    And as the link says, I can almost say the book by heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up the book Little Mommy at Loganbery books.It looks beautiful. I also looked it up on a rare book site and they had one for sale at $245. They must be difficlut to find. I don't remember ever seeing it as a child but I wish I had. Thanks for the link. It's really nice to find a kindred spirit. I hope you visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jenny ~ Your Mum sounds wonderful. That is what I aspire to as well...my Mum and Gran is/was just like this...these ladies are real gems ! If I can be half the woman, I will be happy :)

    I can't get over all the projects you have going at the moment..wow.
    I wish I could knit properly, but alas not :(

    I agree, Robson Green is lovely but I missed him in his sweater on Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please don't think I posted all my knitting projects to show how industrious I am. I think it illustrates what a great starter I am which is fine for small projects but more of a challenge with normal projects - lots of mini goals seems to be the way to go, plus staying away from the wool shop helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's good to see someone else who is a 'starter'. My blog post for tomorrow was going to be a list of my six knitting projects currently on the needles ...

    As for the Triumph, see this link

    http://peasoupoftheday.blogspot.com/2005/12/show-and-tell-car.html

    for a description!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Little Jenny Wren

    Thanks for posting on my blog. Great to meet other knitters! I too am starting a man's pullover (plain, plain, plain!)but there's no way I could multitask several knitting projects at once. My brain would explode. Great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.