Slideshow Widget

30 Jun 2006




It is an overcast, dreary day and against my best intentions I am feeling overcast and dreary too. I should be happy because I have finished my doll orders and my time is my own but I am having an attack of the blahs. Enough of that. What I need to do is some baking for the weekend. I think I will make some choc-bit biscuits and some muesli cookies plus a cake of some description.



CHOC BIT BISCUITS

250g butter
4 tablespoons condensed milk
4 tablespoons sugar
2 cups SR flour
1/2 cup choc bits

Cream butter and sugar, add condensed milk, flour and choc bits.
Mix well.
Place teaspoonsful of mixture on greased tray.
Bake in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes.

This is my mother's recipe that she got off the choc bit packet about 40 years ago.They have always been my favourites and my children's favourites. I always use the rest of the choc bits to make banana choc bit muffins but with bananas at about $9 a kilo I'll have to find a
new recipe.

SPICY MUESLI COOKIES

1 cup wholemeal SR flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups muesli
1/2 cup coconut
2 teaspoons mixed spice
75g butter, melted
1 egg
2 tablespoons golden syrup

Mix all ingredients together and drop heaped teaspoonsful onto a greased oven tray. Bake in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes.

This recipe is a great way to use up any stale muesli or the bit in the bottom of the container that everyone refuses to eat. If you don't have enough muesli to can make it up w
ith oats, seeds, nuts and sultanas.

Still no sunshine, I will have to light the fire and have my cuppa there. Usually at this time of the year on a sunny day the sunshine floods into our loungeroom at morning tea time and it is the best place in the world to relax with a coffee. As I look out the window it is actually pouring and our new load of wood is being delivered today. Oh well. It is a very good day for baking, knitting and dreaming about my revamped bedroom.

5 Responses to “ ”

  1. Jenny hello!
    My gosh you have some lovely pictures on your blog they are a very special reminder of my childhood.

    I love the biscuit recipe and will write it out. Please feel free to visit my blog and write out my recipe for chocolate beetroot cake! IT IS YUM! :o)

    Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipes. The spicy muesli cookies look really good. I wish I could send some of my sun your way !! Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Little Jenny Wren...just over visiting from Lee-ann's blog. Your blog is delightful. Perhaps you will inspire me to get back to knitting again...smile. I know I could use my time more wisely than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning liljennywren!
    I hope the blahs have gone away and that all that baking and bedroom decorating has done the trick...It looks like the rain has come down to us now.
    P.S. Bananas down here are $11 a kilo....I've got some frozen ones, and wonder if they'd be alright to bake with...I know my sis-in-law used to bake with them. I might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh...don't you just hate it when you get a case of the blahs and can't seem to shake them? I hope all the baking gave you a pick me up. I always find it helps to keep busy on those kinds of days. Thanks for the recipes - I plan to give them a go on my next blah day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.