Eloise Wilkin

28 Jun 2006


When I was a little girl one of my favourite picture books was " We Help Mommy" by Jean Cushman and illustrated by Eloise Wilkin. I loved looking at this book and dreamed of having a little toy clothesline to play with and a front loading washing machine with a glass door to watch the washing go round. My little book eventually fell to pieces and I eventually grew up.
When I was about 20 I noticed that some of the original Little Golden Books w
ere being re-issued and I found my precious "We Help Mommy". I realised how much I enjoyed the artwork in the book and even though it was very uncool I bought a copy. A couple of months ago while hunting round in a second hand book shop I came upon some Little Golden Books and had a look through. I found four more Eloise Wilkin books. I have since had a look on the net and found I am not alone in my appreciation of her simple pictures of a child's world. The best thing about her work is that because the books have always been so cheap and readily available many people have been touched by her work and carry those images with them, probably unknowingly.



7 Responses to “Eloise Wilkin”

  1. Aren't they just adorable illustrations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I love Eloise Wilkin. I found your blog through homespun living. Clarice

    ReplyDelete
  3. ELoise Wilkin has always been one of my favorites, and I have We Help Mommy from my childhood, along with several others illustrated by her! Kindred spirits around the globe!!!

    The tree in the picture is in our backyard.. we have an older and larger one in the front yard, although it is a different kind of oak, and my son has not tried to climb it yet. The tree in the back is called a Willow oak, and has long thin leaves rather than the traditionally shaped oak leaves, and hundreds upon hundreds of tiny acorns in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious are books! I've enjoyed your memories and sharing your collection. I'll have to keep an eye out for this author. Golden books are real 'collectables' here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I was just scanning down your blog when I saw the 'We Like Kindergarten' book. This was my absolute favorite when I was probably 4 or 5. I haven't seen it in ages and it stopped me cold when I saw it here. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of one. Thanks for the info on Eloise Wilkin - I knew nothing about her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a fan of Eloise Wilkin. I have a big book of seasons that is adorable. She is one of my favorite illustrators.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello sweet friend :o)
    I've decided to take a stroll through your archives, once again.
    I too, am one that *loved and poured over* the Eloise Wilkin books as a little girl. And, "We Help Mommy" was one of my very favorites. I have always had them over the years, for the children--but mainly for *me* :o)
    Jewels

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.