Slideshow Widget

18 May 2006











An order for two more dolls today. That's fantastic news. There is a small but very beautiful shop here called Content owned by a lovely lady called Malinda. She loves my dolls and buys a few from me every couple of months, she doesn't put a huge mark up on them so they are not hideously expensive. Slowly the market is building. Obviously it can't grow too big as I only have one pair of hands and I am not a factory. I can't bear doing the same thing over and over so each doll is an original. I don't think I could make two the same if I tried anyway, I guess the creative process doesn't work that way.

The photos are of some of my daughter's dolls and some that I have sold. I am constantly experimenting with hair styles; when I was a little girl I wanted to be a hairdresser. I tend to dress the dolls in knitted jumpers or cardigans and they usually have gingham skirts, sometimes with embroidery sometimes not. Although the dolls are called Waldorf or Steiner dolls they are actually based on the traditional European ragdoll. I have seen Italian, Swedish, German and Dutch versions and only the last two mention Waldorf or Steiner. Even though the basic design of the doll is universal each dollmaker brings their own unique skills and inspiration to the doll just as each furniture designer has their own version of a table or a chair. Anyway enough of this raving.





3 Responses to “ ”

  1. Your dolls are delightful!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog...it's great to 'meet' another Tassie. I've enjoyed your posts and will be visiting often.

    Kali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your dolls are just lovely! I'm so pleased you are doing well with them. Keep them different and original and you will sell lots more, I'm sure of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dolls are beautiful Jenny. How nice it must be for your children to have dolls made with such loving care.

    I remember two beautiful dolls my mother made for my sister in the 1970s - I don't think Mum knew about Waldorf or Steiner. Rag dolls have been around a long time.

    Glad to hear your son is getting better too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.